Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Canon Pixma MG 5650 Printer. Message came up to say there was

Canon Pixma MG 5650 Printer. Message came up to say there was a paper jam, with instructions how to clear jammed paper from the output tray and the rear cavity. Both locations were cleared but when I try to print I get the same message. When I open the front of the printer the ink carrier will not move to the centre so that I can replace ink cartridges.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).Any of these issues could also arise as damage caused by a prior jam.What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, Nathan. However, when I open the printer the carriage remains to the right and I cannot get it to move to the centre where I can get at the ink cartridges. I can find no solution to this in the User's Manual. How do I move the carriage, please?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
With power disconnected, it should move freely (grab it by hand and pull it over). If it does not move, then it is hung up on the purge absorber system, or paper is jammed under it. You can try sliding a piece of thick paper like cardstock under it to shim it up a bit and slide it from there. If it still won't budge, then that is the cause of the problem here, and indicates that the carriage drive system is damaged. At that point the printer would have to be serviced or replaced. If less than a year old, canon will cover it under warranty. If more than a year old, it is not worth fixing - it would cost twice as much for you to have it repaired as it would to buy a new machine with a fresh warranty. Best regards,Nathan