Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Canon PIXMA MP600 which has been wonderful but has

I have a Canon PIXMA MP600 which has been wonderful but has just started leaving out parts of the printing, either in columns down a portrait page or across the page. Colour printing does not appear to have lines but it does not look as good as it used to be. I have performed a "cleaning", done a "deep clean", and executed a "nozzle check" and a "print head alignment" - all from the Maintenance Screen via the computer. I am not able to tell from the print head alignment if there is a problem as I don't know what I should be viewing on the page. In most cases there are 12 blocks of colour in the top half of the page: an oblong turquoise vertically striped block and a paler striped block at the top; below that it shows 3 blocks of colour, turquoise then 2 paler ones; below that 3 blocks, 1 black & white, a deep and 1 light; below that two larger charcoal blocks - the first, (the smaller) has a K above it, a 0 to the left and a left pointing arrow to the right and the second larger bock has an L above it; below that the bottom row has two turquoise smaller blocks, one plain and one with faint horizontal striped. The problem remains. Hope you can help - Ruth XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried cleaning it by hand yet?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****dy
Thank goodness that after many days of not succeeding in replying to you and several emails to and fro from the Customer Support I can now reply. I have not tried cleaning it manually - not sure how to do that, although I have made it do a base plate clean, but it is not smudging at all anyway. The actual prints are quite clear, but it does not print all the words, and in fact very little at all sometimes. I'm afraid I am not very technical at all, so you will have to instruct me in detailed "Noddy" language (really simple stuff). One question, do I keep logged on all the time until all responses are over, or can this take several days? Kind regards, Woeful
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You can take all the time you need to reply.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done the cleaning - did not appear at all messy, printed a sheet and it is just as bad, printing the odd line, but not all by any means, and also printing the top or bottom half of some of the lines.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8
You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that, it still prints in exactly the same way. What next,please?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Without replacing the print head that is actually unfortunately the last thing we can do. How old is the machine? If over a year old, did you happen to get an extended warranty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is over a year old and we did not get extended warranty. If that is the last thing we can do, how can I find out what is wrong with it as it looks as if most printer repair people only look at large office machines. Also, I can of course give you a good rating as you have done your best, ***** ***** problem has not been solved so not sure what to do about that - presumably I can't get my money back on that count? I shall be grateful if you can answer this message before we finish our contact. I there really nothing else we can try? Or have you any idea about what part might have gone wrong, please?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
The very first thing I did was warn you that you may need a part to fix this, the reason I did that is because it in no way makes this site free. If you need a part I will tell you which one, in this case the print head like I just mentioned in my last reply. It is what puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Unfortunately though it can be expensive and is usually cheaper to replace the machine. This is also why technicians do not usually work on them, the labor for an hour would be about the same as replacing the machine not including the price of the part. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I do realise that you did warn me, which is very sensible, and I am perfectly happy with your side of things. Are we likely to still be able to get a new printhead or will it be obsolete do you think? Please reply.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Honestly there is a small chance the same thing will happen (very small but can happen) which would mean you have a board failure as well. Due to that and the fact you can get a new machine for the same price as the part, I would replace it with another if it was my machine. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much, Freddy, I am grateful for your feedback and your help. At least I know more about cleaning a printer - so that has to be good! One other thing, someone suggested that we try to uninstall the original setting up instructions and info and then trying to install it again with the CD which we used at first. Presumably, the same thing is likely to happen? You may think that is a ridiculous idea after what you have told me but I am clutching at straws, and as I said originally I understand very little about these things. Please reply.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That would not cause this, if it did the original cleanings you did would not have gone through properly. The driver software is what allows your printer to communicate with the computer. It does not have any real effect on the quality of what comes out. If it was not working properly the cleaning and alignments would not have gone through and would have given you an error. Otherwise that would have been the first thing I would suggest. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. ***** can't understand is that if it is the printhead , how is it that it still prints photographs perfectly normally and also prints maps from the internet. It is text documents (including boarding passes from the internet and such things, plus documents created at home) which it no longer prints. Please respond - I'll try to stop bothering you in a moment!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
It has separate nozzles for each cartridge even though it is one solid unit. it also forces more ink through when printing photos. So when printing black and white text the black nozzle in the print head being worn will cause this issue. But because a photo will need more color and mixes with the black to make the images, it will still be there but minimal since only the black nozzle which is being used less but with more ink making it less noticeable if at all. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O.K. Thank you very much Freddy - I will now rate you as Excellent - a shame I can no longer say that about our lovely printer!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome and Canon has improved on the model if you decide to replace it with a newer MP or MG machine. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.