Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I am in Scarborough, UK. My Canon MG5550 has not been used

Customer Question

I am in Scarborough, UK. My Canon MG5550 has not been used for five weeks and is now saying Error B200. Any possible fix? If not where do I find the address to contact, please.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
First, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine (if the carriage does not move over turn the machine off and do it by hand).
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If the same thing happens, next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.
After that, there are 2 parts that cause this error the print head and the logic board. If the same thing happens after all these steps it rules out the print head. Since we have ruled out the print head it means the logic board has failed and needs to be replaced. This part can be expensive so I would call around for a price. Normally it costs between £50 and £75 for the part alone. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old without an extended warranty. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. No trace of ink on any contacts of the five cartridges. Where do I find the video to explain how to clean the print head?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I apologize it should have been there, here is the link to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I managed to remove the print head and wash it. The video was a help but refers to a different model. I had to be rougher than I liked to get the carriage out to the centre as it seemed to be fouled by a catch or something, which only allowed two ink cartridges to slide out easily.The video shows the print head sliding back easily. However it has currently beaten me, as while I know it is the right way round (the second part from the right is larger for the PGBK larger cartridge), I cannot work out how to inset it without risking damaging the head. Please carry on with the help!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Remove and reseat the print head sometimes that will help. While it is a different model in the video the steps are the same for all MP, MG, and MX series machines. If it still does this it could mean the print head itself is damaged or worn which can cause it to expand, as I mentioned the print head is one of the two parts that can cause this error if it needs to be replaced. Sometimes cleaning it fixes it, if it is the print head remove it and check for the B200 error if it only gives you that and does not change to something like 6A00 the board may have failed as well.
It is rare but they do sometimes fail together. After cleaning if the print head has failed it should switch between B200 and other errors. If it does not the board has most likely failed as well. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am stuck trying to reseat the print head. Without it I get support code 1401 "Print Head is not installed".There are three lugs on each side of the print head, a wedge at the top, a round pin half way up, and a vertical bar on the bottom corner. What is supposed to engage with what? I have pulled the black clip forward. It doesn't seem to lift up as in the video.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Look for a lever on the side instead then. All models have something that lifts like the video. Most around the entire cartridges, when they do not they have a lever on the side that lifts up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, no lever. Just a black bar that slides backward and forward against two brass clips that make it stiff to operate and make sure it is in or out and not half-way. On the front of the bar are 5 coloured labels to show which tank goes where.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
If you have a bar with the ink colors in the front, that entire bar should pull forward.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yee Haw! Yes it does pull forward. I finally tried putting the print head in upside down and twisting when it is right in.The bad news is that when I powered it up, it made whirring and clanking noises for quite a while (priming with ink?) showed the screen to choose between scan, copy etc and then said "B200".Thank you for your help. It is after midnight in the UK so I'm going to bed. Perhaps I'll try cleaning again tomorrow just in case. I'll put smileys when I find where they are. Good night.Tom (age 76)
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

That is noit a good sign and normally means the carriage assembly itself is the problem which is what the print head sits inside of. You may want to clean that with the print head out, after that it is normally cheaper to replace the machine as the carriage assembly is not even available as far as I know. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.