Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Installation disc SX205 where to buy one

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Do you mean the installation disc? What version of windows or mac is on your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have recently bought a new computer and wish to install my Stylus SX205 printer but cannot find the cd. The printer has always given excellent results and soI wish to continue with it. At present I hve Windows 8.1
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You can download and install the software that was on the disc to install your printer from here:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-IE&data=0ccCGROWIYMC2emIAAWpdsjxXdlWicYGMImajkE2fE4U003D&tc=6
If for some reason you do not see the printer driver the one listed under windows 7 should work for 8.1 as well.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freddy, I thank you for your efforts on my printer's and my behalf but after a cost of over £20 and still no favourable difference, I have reached despondency and given up. All I needed was a replacement disc with which to load my printer onto a new computer but of no avail so I must put the wasting of the cash down to experience. Some day you may also be a pensioner!!. Did I hear Epson? never again, roll on HP.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
As I mentioned before ALL software that was on the disc is on the page I sent. Make sure you run the downloads simply downloading them will not be enough. Also no company including HP send out discs they all have the software on their websites like this now. I work on all brands and model. If you are having trouble installing it let me know and I will help you. If it is doing something like sending out blank pages that has nothing to do with the software, that is caused by a hardware issue which I can try to help you with as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freddy, Whilst I am sure every confidence can be placed in your ability, can I please ask, "Where can I please, purchase a replacement disc??". Whilst you are, I am sure highly technically skilled in your field, mine are in another. Allan.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
As I said before they are not sold. They come with the machine and after that the only way to get the software is from the website.
There is also the fact this machine was released before windows 8.1 that means the disc is not going to contain 8.1 drivers. They only come with software for the operating systems already out when the machine is manufactured.
I sent you a site with both the drivers and all software. If you were not able to install let me know what happened when you tried to so I can help you. If you installed and something like blank pages is coming out, it is not a software issue at all but hardware. In which case I need to know exactly what it does in order to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I understand then, that if I am not au-fait with IT, all then is lost? There are no blank printed sheets but quarto colours and lines on each print out. Do I now, as you seem to suggest, attempt a re-appraisal ?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you now that I actually know what is wrong I can help. The software is not going to help with this. What you are describing is caused by a part inside the printer itself. Specifically a nozzle of the print head/carriage the ink cartridges sit inside of. It unfortunately can be a sign of a failing part.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is a small area on the ink cartridges ink will come out of when pushed that is normal just get any dried ink off of that area.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
Once you have test it let me know the results, please try using something like this page to test it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the instructions that you gave, were carried out but to no avail, the print out was the same as previous. A window opened with this ' attempting to connect to a different device from that specified in the driver. Check the driver settings and the device'.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That error can be both software and hardware related.
The previous problem you mentioned would only be hardware.
With both combined it sounds like the logic board may be failing.
Open the control panel and then click on hardware and sound.
Then click on devices and printers.
Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.
You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and look under my questions.
Restart the computer and reinstall the machine using the downloads I gave you before.
Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.
If the either of these two problems show up again it would be a very bad sign.
In which case I would need to know how old it is and whether or not you have an extended warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freddy, Once again I say thank you for your would be help, I have retraced steps as you advised and tried to download from the net. Sadly my inexpertise showed through and I am now even more in debt (£60) thanks to the wonderful support of Epson
and all because a simple replacement disc is no longer available, Do they really cost that much?. As I have said, thanks for your good intent, but I feel that I can no longer afford the help of EPSON.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You should not have been charged anything else, out entire conversation was covered by your original payment. The discs would cost a lot of money to send out so yes all companies started putting them on their websites instead. Also as I mentioned the problem you were having is not software related, it is caused by hardware in the machine and sounds like you have a failing logic board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Freddy, I now feel that the only failing logic is mine for having put faith in Epson!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
If you decide to get a replacement I would be happy to help you find one. As I mentioned I work on all brands and models so I do not have to recommend Epson. Thought they do currently have the best series on the market with their WF models. I would though avoid all other Epson models currently being sold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for being so candid I appreciate it, and at 85 years of age that is valued. I must of necessity replace my gear, but with what and from where?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
If you want to avoid Epson the next best thing would be a Canon MX or MG series machine and just about any electronics or computer shop would carry them.A lot of big box stores like Walmart carry them as well.You would also want to avoid Brother and Kodak printers completely both use flimsy parts that fail easily.HP is about the same quality as Canon but the print head is not user replaceable making the Canon a better decision in my opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many, Many thanks Freddy, So a Canon it must be!. I have had one previously with a laptop and without any problems. Now I suppose it's down to Perth to PC World ???
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
PC world should have them yes. And they do tend to last a while. It should also say on the box whether or not it will work with your version of windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And now a simple, Good night and God bless, Thanks.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and I hope you have a great night.