Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My canon MG 7550 refuses to print black. The only way I can

My canon MG 7550 refuses to print black. The only way I can print documents is to change the text to another colour. I have tried a deep clean and two BK cartridges
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. If you need a part you are still required to pay. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried cleaning it by hand yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't think so. How do I do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw the printer is virtually brand new
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It being new does not change anything it is still possible you are going to need a part, it just means if under a year old it will be covered under warranty.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is a small area on the ink cartridges ink will come out of when pushed that is normal just get any dried ink off of that area.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy, unfortunately it did not work. Still no black ink. I tried printing a photo and that works. So the PGBK ink is working as are all other colours but never the BK.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
A photo would use coloring and one of the black cartridges, not the same one used for documents. Next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.This video explains how to do that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8
You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. Cleaned the print-head and still not printing black
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That is a very bad sign, how old is the printer? Did you get an extended warranty? The print head has separate nozzles for each cartridge. From what you are telling me the black is damaged. If it was simply blocked cleaning would have fixed it. When this happens you can not replace just the one nozzle even though that is the only thing that is the problem, the entire print head needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer was bought in June this year from ***** *****. My brother bought the same model at the same time that is working fine. I think it would be covered for a year.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It is covered for a year that is why I asked. Call this number +44 (0)207(###) ###-####They may have you try the same things again, they have to ask. Just let them know you already did it. Then normally a replacement will be sent out. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience