Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

G'Day. I have a photosmart 5520 that has stopped printing

G'Day. I have a photosmart 5520 that has stopped printing black. A cartridge faded away and I replaced it with a new one - no black; surely there couldn't be a fault in the cartridge but just to be sure I tried another new cartridge but still no black. The printer is showing a full cartridge and I've been through the machines clean and align routines but all to no effect. When I print the test page I get black print but a neatly outlined white box where I expected shades of grey.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
Trying a new cartridge was the right way to go, it was possible that the new one was defective. You have now ruled that out as a possibility. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried cleaning the machine by hand yet? Please make a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all, does the black on that come out lighter than it should?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Freddy,I just tried doing a 'black' copy on the machine, no computer attached - not a mark on the page.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That is a bad sign, Please don't forget to check your other question as well. It coming out blank could mean you have a failing part. How old is it? Have you tried cleaning it yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what to clean. Until this happened there was no sign of quality dropping off, it was excellent.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes when parts fail in printers it happens all of a sudden.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is a small area on the ink cartridges ink will come out of when pushed that is normal just get any dried ink off of that area.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Freddy, I've removed cartridges cleaned carefully, the contacts were a little dirty. However the net result is no different; black copy gives a white page; coloured copy did the blue (the other colour on the page) colour just fine.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
The black and color each have separate nozzles in the print head which is why one can work when the other does not. How old is the printer? Did you happen to get an extended warranty? Look at the carriage with the ink removed do you see a latch or lever you can lift?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 things - When I follow the link on the e-mail I get 'www.justanswer.co.ukhttp is unavailable or may not exist' which doesn't seem right.
Regarding the printer we've done some research and it looks like December 2014 was when we bought it. I've removed the cartridges and can't see any lever I'm afraid.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That is a bug, if you lose the page go to justanswer.co.uk and look under my questions. As for the lever not all machines have one that is actually why I had you look here is a picture of a carriage with one:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/61487i178D6A086545A71F/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
If you have one you want to lift it, remove the print head and run it under warm water until the water runs clear. Then let it air dry for 10 minutes and test the machine again.
If you do not have that lever or if you try that and the same thing happens it means the print head has failed. Specifically the black nozzle which can not be replaced individually. A machine with the lever you can normally find the print head on eBay. Without the lever and it would be part of a carriage assembly, the entire assembly would be needed.
Without a warranty both of these can be expensive to replace. A lot of the time it is cheaper to replace the machine itself. Due to this a lot of technicians will not even work on this type of issue. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.