Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

My Canon PIXMA MG3550 is printing badly. It affects black

My Canon PIXMA MG3550 is printing badly. It affects black only, colour is OK.
Black printing fails to print approx every 2nd and 3rd line, right down the page.
I have done the deep cleaning routine.
I have replaced the cartridge with a new one - genuine Canon.
Error persists
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is this only occurring from one program on the computer or multiple programs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It occurs whenever I try to print a document.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Open the top cover of the printer to get to the ink cartridges
Wait for the ink cartridges assembly to come to the middle/front
Unplug the printer (now the cartridge assembly wont auto-return while the lever is up)
Lift up the gray lever on the right side of the ink cartridge assembly
Remove all ink cartridges
Lift the black plastic printhead up and out (Note: The printhead itself is a smaller piece inside of the whole assembly that slides on the rail inside the printer. Grab from inside where the cartridges were sitting and the printhead piece only will come out easily.)
Then wash it thoroughly, soaking it in warm soapy water.
Dry it, put is back in the printer, put the ink back in and tell me if it now prints correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your instructions don 't seem to apply to my model (MG3550) e.g. I open the flap at the front, not the 'top cover' to get at the cartridges. I can't see the printhead after I have removed the cartridges.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, that is the top cover sorry, the wording is general as it works for all printers.
When you take the cartridges out you see a lever on the side of the compartment that holds the cartridges?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see the gray lever
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then for your model it is not removable.
Remove the ink then please and use a damp cloth to clean out the slots where the ink goes in as good as possible. you want to focus mostly on the point where the ink is ejected through.
Then let it dry and tell me if this improves the printing please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and got a lot of gunge out. It still is not printing properly but it is much better. So I think you have identified the problem. I shall go back and do some more cleaning until it's printing properly.
Thank yoou for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you get it cleaned completely it will be ok, try using some ear buds that would fit better.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering