Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I've just had a paper jam on a Pixma MG 4250 and although

Customer Question

Hi, I've just had a paper jam on a Pixma MG 4250 and although the paper has all been cleared OK it is still reporting an error 'paper is jammed in the rear side'.
I have opened the back of the printer and it all looks clear. Any ideas please? Thank you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Look inside around the ink cartridges with a flashlight. Look for any small piece of paper. Anything stuck here can show a rear paper jam error. Let me know the results either way when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that before asking. I have checked from inside the front cover and by unlocking the back and checking inside. I removed the print cartridges and tried looking under them, but cannot see any paper anywhere.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.Then leave it in the middle of the bar.Plug the machine back in and turn it on.Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.Let me know the results either way when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. The print head moved OK (although a bit stiffly). Repositioned in the centre and reconnected / switched on. Still get the same message.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Does the error have a number or code? Open the back again and look at the rollers do they look ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Support code 1303. The rollers at the back look OK. Is there a sensor or switch anywhere that could be worth checking?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Turn the machine on its side and look at the bottom. You may want to remove the tray completely. 1303 can mean something is stuck here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, it's on its side, but I cannot see any way to remove the bottom. There are couple of small holes and three white clips that don't seem to move.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
If you open the back you may be able to see better here is an image of what I mean:http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ErrorCode/MX450%20series/EN/ERR/screens/t_tr_06_a2.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I can't make sense of that with regard to the 4250 layout.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Open the back of the machine with the machine laid on it's side and then look for any jam, if you have any canned air duster or anything like that blow it out a few times. This machine does not have sensors so if it is showing the jam error, a roller is either jammed or damaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've opened the back again and rechecked the rollers, all seem to turn freely. Plugged in and turned on, still the same error.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
If the same error came up again after cleaning the rollers that way it is a very bad sign, how old is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, a year or two old. I was printing duplex when it jammed, is there any way to look inside the part the flips the page?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It would jam in the rear when duplexing. Hold down the resume/cancel button for 30 seconds let me know if anything changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that the red triangle in a circle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if so, nothing happens
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I do not have that model here to check but that sounds like the stop button. The resume button is normally green.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That'll be the OK button on this model. it whirred and clicked and came back with the same message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have thought that the amount of turning off and on again that we've done would have reset it anyway? This does not look good does it?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Darn that is not good. Did you happen to get an extended warranty? Disconnect all cables turn the machine upside down and shake it side to side a couple of times. Something small may be stuck you can not see. If that is the case it should fall out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, next step is 'throw it out of the window' isn't it? ;-)
Still getting a 1303.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's only a low cost printer, so a new one is cheaper than extended warranty.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately if it is still coming up it normally means the feeder is going to need to be replaced. Without a warranty this can be expensive and usually it is cheaper to replace the machine itself instead. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I thought that might be the case. It broke down during a print run and everything was going so well.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Cheerio.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy,
On the basis that I couldn't do any more damage to a wrecked printer I had a further fiddle around with it, partly with cotton buds and partly with my fingers.
I cleaned up all the ink on the various cogs and sprockets and the plastic belt along the top of the printer using mild detergent and cotton buds. Hey Presto it started working again.
The bad news is that I wiped most of the grease off the chassis frame that the print head travels along, which is apparently a mistake. I've sourced some more grease and I hope to get that replaced in the near future. It has been fun. I thought perhaps you'd like to know the outcome.
David
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for letting me know I appreciate it as for the grease you can use silicone oil as well. I would also keep an eye on the machine because ink should not be getting in that area.