Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Freddy, have a recurring printer error 0xF1 on my Epson 4640 WF. Can't clear it!

Hi Freddy,
have a recurring printer error 0xF1 on my Epson 4640 WF. Can't clear it! K.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. How long have you had the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 - 18 Months. It has worked fine to this point in time and a couple of days ago we had a paper jam. I removed all the the jam but he error message kept reappearing.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately this 0xF1 error indicates a hardware problem,specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. In this instance, it was likely damaged by the prior jams. While it can be fixed, once the warranty is up, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been a good machine and I would like to see if it can be repaired. Can you recommend a local repairer or recommend a replacement option please. I live on the Mid North Coast of NSW Australia. Postcode 2430.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It can be repaired, but you would have to replace the printhead. That is going to be a $200 repair job (about $125-150 for the head, remainder for labor).Unless you have a large stock of ink in inventory, it is not worth the cost, and would be more feasible to replace it, even with the same exact model, to have fresh warranty coverage, all new parts, etc. THe only option I'm seeing that may work on these is at 800 656 370, though I am in the US and cannot readily tell their distance from you, they have several shops and hopefully one would be in a reasonable travel time. Personally, I'd order a new printer online and have it shipped to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. Ken