VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

I am trying to print labels from Epson printer but despite

Customer Question

I am trying to print labels from Epson printer but despite checking the correct loading Cassette (box under mailings on computer) for paper on the printer the computer causes it to default to CD/DVD. Epson technicians told me this is a Microsoft problem. How do I fix it?
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sorry for the issue. I need to know what version of Windows are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows Vista
Ok. I see that you have not upgraded to Windows 10. As many issue's have seemed to crop up after folks have upgraded to Windows 10. Now has this program ever worked properly? Have you upgraded the program to it's latest version that is compatible with you version of Windows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not upgraded to Windows 10. I had no problems printing from Windows Vista with my old HP printer. I am considering buying a new computer in the new year but really need to be able to print labels now. Surely there is a simple answer. I am shocked that you are first of all expecting me to pay £31 for being unable to answer my question and then expecting an extra £18 to speak on the phone. If I upgrade to Windows 10 what are the costs etc. and will my computer run Windows 10 without issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry but which program are you talking about?
Well Sir or Madam, as a Technician or an Engineer. I need to ask questions to find out what your issue is with the program, what works and what has failed. I am not expecting you to pay anything, that price was agreed to by you and JustAnswer. I am not JA, just a Professional who answers questions in this forum. Thus, all offers and other solicitations are sent from JA not me unless I send you an offer which I have not done. I would not desire you to upgrade to Windows 10. Because of much of the needed printer drivers and alike are not yet up to scratch for Widows 10. Truly, many of them have not even been made as of yet. As to what program is it that I am asking about? What program do you use to attempt to use to print labels with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using Mail merge in Word
What is the version of MS Word that you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MS Word 2007
Hmm, using that version of Windows along with that version of Word should work with out a hitch. Now, does it create the labels in a document or does it error off at that point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I do not understand your terminology. It creates labels in a document from a database which on screen look exactly as I want them to look on the printed labels but as I have said before when I try to print the printer defaults to CD/DVD cassette instead of the Cassette where the paper or actual plain white labels are loaded.
So you do this: Step 1: Create the mailing label documentStart a new document to create a new label, or open an existing document that you used previously to merge labels.Open the document in Word, and then start the mail merge. To start a mail merge, follow these steps, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running:Microsoft Word 2002On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge Wizard.Microsoft Office Word 2003On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge.Microsoft Office Word 2007 or later versions of WordOn the Mailings tab, click Start Mail Merge, and then click Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard.Under Select document type, click Labels, and then click Next: Starting Document. Under Select starting document, click Change document layout or Start from existing document.With the Change document layout option, you can use one of the mail-merge templates to set your label options to create a new label document. When you click Label options or Next: Select recipients, the Label Options dialog box appears. Select the type of printer, the type of label product, and the product number. If you are using a custom label, click Details, and then type the size of the label. ClickOK after completing.With the Start from existing document option, you can open an existing mail-merge document and use that as your main document.Click Next: Select Recipients.Step 2: Select the data source The data source contains the information that can vary in each label, such as a destination address. You can open an existing data source created in Word, or you can create a new data source and fill in the addressee information.Note Additionally, you can use a data source that was created in another program, such as Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Access, or you can use a personal address book created in Microsoft Exchange Server or Microsoft Schedule+, or you can use an ASCII text file or another delimited file.Under the Select Recipients heading in the Mail Merge task pane, select the appropriate data source option.The options are to use an existing list, select from Outlook contacts, or type a new list.Use the appropriate method for the type of data source that you want to use to complete Select recipients step.Method 1: Open an existing data sourceTo open an existing data source, follow these steps:In the Mail Merge task pane, click Use an existing list, and then click Browse under the Use an existing list heading.The Select Data Source dialog box appears.In the list of files in the Select Data Source dialog box, select the data source that you want to use, and then click Open.Note: If the data source that you want is not in the list of files, click the appropriate drive and folder, and then select the appropriate option in the List files of type box.If the data source that you want is not in the list of files, click the appropriate drive and folder, and then select the appropriate option in the List files of type box.Word displays the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box for you to edit your data more. When you finish your editing changes, click OK. Your labels are displayed.Click Next: Arrange your labels.Proceed to the Step 3: Edit the label document section later in this article.Method 2: Use Outlook contactsIn the Mail Merge task pane, click Select from Outlook contacts, and then click Choose Contacts Folder under the Select from Outlook Contacts Folder heading. A dialog box to select contacts appears, with the available Contacts folder. Select the correct folder, and then click OK.The names appear in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box. Click OK.Click Next: Arrange your labels.Proceed to the Step 3: Edit the label document section later in this article.Method 3: Create a new data sourceClick Type a new list under the Select Recipients heading.Click Create to display the New Address List dialog box. The dialog box contains a list of field names that are frequently used in form letters, mailing labels, and envelopes.Note: To customize your fields in this dialog box, click Customize or Customize Columns. You can rename the fields and remove the fields that you do not need. To add field names, click Add, type the field name, and then click OK. When you finish your customizations, click OK. When you finish typing your data, click Ok or Close to close the New Address List dialog box.The Save Address List dialog box appears.Select location, name the file, and then click Save.Word displays the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box to edit your data more. When you finish your editing changes, click OK.In the Mail Merge Wizard, click Next: Arrange your labels.Proceed to the Step 3: Edit the label document section.Step 3: Edit the label documentIn the Mail Merge task pane, verify that the Arrange your labels step is displayed. In this step, you can lay out your labels.Word displays the items that you can use to lay out your labels, such as Address block. After clicking in the label where you want to insert, click to select an item to display there. Note: Use the More items options to add specific fields. This feature is useful if there is some difficulty in laying out a data block, such as Address on the label. The Insert Merge Field allows you to select a field in the block separately, such as First Name, Address1 or City, so you can insert fields anywhere you like on the label. Note: Before clicking More items, click in the label where you want to insert the merge fields that represent where Word will print the information from the data source. Make sure that you type any spaces or punctuation that you want between two merge fields or after a merge field, if needed.Work with the dialog which appears after clicking each item. For example, Insert Address Block dialog appears if you select Address block.Click Math Fields to verify if all data fields in the document match with the fields in the source list. You can manually match the fields by selecting correct field from the dropdown list. Click Ok once every field was matched as expected.Verify desired label design is shown in the Preview window then click OK on the Insert Address Blockdialog to close it.When you finish setting up one label, click Update all labels to replicate all labels.Click Next: Preview your labels to preview your merged data. If you feel re-layout is needed at the preview, you can go back to your Arrange your labels step by clicking Previous: Arrange your labels.Step 4: Perform the mergeIn the Mail Merge task pane, verify that the Complete the merge step is displayed. In this step, you can merge to the printer or on the screen.To merge directly to the printer, click Print. The Merge to printer dialog box appears, so that you can select which records to merge. Click OK. The Print dialog box appears, so that you can select your printer and print the labels.To merge on the screen, click Edit individual labels. The Merge to new document dialog box appears, so that you can select which records to merge. Click OK to merge the labels. You can view the labels before you print them.After the merged document appears on the screen, you can save it as a separate document, you can print the merged document by clicking Print on the File menu, or you can do both.
Also, selecting the Paper Source as being the cassette does not work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks but you have completely misunderstood my problem. I have done all that and have the address labels ready to print but the printer will not stop defaulting to CD/DVD tray as I have now explained three times.
I have not misunderstood you. I am eliminating known culprits.
Lastly, do you print on CD/DVD's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WANT TO PRINT PAPER LABELS AS I HAVE NOW SAID THREE TIMES. IF I HAD WANTED TO PRINT ONTO A CD I WOULD NOT HAVE A PROBLEM. PLEASE TELL ME I CAN GET THIS SORTED TO PRINT ONTO PAPER LABELS IF NOT WE ARE WASTING EACH OTHER'S TIME
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only had the printer working for a short time and do not want to print onto cds etc. at the moment. If I can just print one set of labels I will be happy! But right now the answer does not seem to be coming from technical support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologise if I am sounding annoyed but this is so frustrating. It is a simple thing to be able to print labels but I can't do it. Please tell me if you think I have to abandon the whole project and throw out my computer!
Ok, the problem is that your Program through is MS Word is defaulting to print on CD/DVD's that you do not print on. Now we need to look at your Printer Driver, it sees your attempt to print Labels which I am sure are for addresses as an attempt to print CD/DVD labels. Since that is the case, are you up for a remote connection so I can resolve this issue for you remotely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a bit concerned about time. Will a remote connection be possible now?
Yes..http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=68e3b4ab-3c13-4d87-a466-0af7788b87b9
Use the link to download and agree to the install options and we can begin Ms Angela...
OK, are we now printing Labels Madam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No despite all your hard work deleting an out of date printer driver the same problem remains. MY COMPUTER WILL NOT CHANGE THE DEFAULT SETTING FROM CD/DVD PRINTING. I have now wasted approximately four hours of valuable time, yours and mine. and now have to and walk the dog before it gets dark. If I can face it I will log on again when I return.
AngelaPS I do not expect to be billed for any of this complete waste of time and fail to understand why deleting the HP material could make any difference. Perhaps you have to admit that we are both clutching at staws.
OK, run the remote control program again so I can see the error Madam...
Also, before you reconnect with me. I need to know the exact Epson printer model that you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an Epson XP-625, just a year old. How do I reconnect remotely? Surely that is up to you.
Oh, just click on the Elsinor Program that you downloaded before the reboot and we will connect again...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Um .... it has disappeared after the reboot
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=68e3b4ab-3c13-4d87-a466-0af7788b87b9
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Two days ago the last I heard from you was that you were going to 'do some research' on my completely unresolved issue. I was unable to log on yesterday and today I have received a request to rate your service! Well sorry, but despite spending about five hours on this hopeless converstation nothing has changed. Could you please tell me what I should do now?
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 12 months ago.
OK, please do the following: Recreate the Mailing list and create the Merge file from another product other then MS Word. Speaking with Microsoft Office aUtomation Specialist. They point out that it is the Link to the Data Base that the list is looking for. This is why it seeks to print CD/DVD Labels and not mailing list.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am not sure if I will have time in the next few days but thank you for the suggestion. I have no idea how easy it is to do what you suggest. None of this makes sense. And what if there isn't anothe product available on my computer? Why should it be a link to the data base it is looking for when the labels are sitting there ready to print? I will see what I can do tomorrow.
The thing is, you can make the Merge in another program and then import that into Word Madam.