Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

Canon printer Ip 4950 error code 5800. I have gone thorugh

Canon printer Ip 4950 error code 5800.
I have gone thorugh the reset proceedure for resetting this error as found on several sites on the WWW and so far this has not worked. I have experirence green and ***** *****ght fashing alternatively.
As suggest I have.
Turned off printer, Held reset button and then whilst holding reset button turned on printer.
whist holding power button on I have released resume button and pressed twice.
Then released both buttons and waiting for static green ligh to appear. This dose not happen and immediatly amber and green buttons start flashing alternaticly again and not allowing me to see a static green light to then press reset button four more time befor turing off printer and then on again as reset.
Is my maching dead or alive pleae?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Just to be sure, have you opened up the printer and removed anything that can jam it up? Even a small piece of paper can cause it to jam.
Try using a vacuum cleaner to make sure
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing blocking the printer all clear head is in the far right of the printer and with main cable out print head will not move manually.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Try to force it to the middle, use a little force and tell me if this gets it to move please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I tried with my fingers but found this quite hard but then with a screwdriver I ease it and it seem to jump as if it was stuck on something then it moved Ok to the centre of the printer. Now it is in this position I have not as yet turned it on and await your further advice.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, looks like the gearing may have been jammed.
Now try to use it and tell me how it functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
switch on and again alternate green and amba light flashing. no movement in the printer. Did the first two reset instructions as follows. Turned printer off. Held in reset button and turned on printer, released reset button, pressed twice and then let go both buttons.. Waited a while and then alternate light flashing again. Still no movement within the printer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
We have ruled the other causes out for this.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should tell you that I have two of these printers and they both were telling me that the waste ink tank needed replacing before and after several more weeks of use they both stopped eventually. Both are out of warranty. Both are suffering the same problems in resetting even to the point of unjamming the head. So are you saying that this in the end and no more can be suggested.
Pete
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct Pete, we have ruled out all other causes for this to confirm the issue.
You have tried to reset it, and I have with you ruled out all the other causes for this to confirm it.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks.