Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

MG2400 series has ceased printing and is flashing up a message

MG2400 series has ceased printing and is flashing up a message to "contact service centre". Previously it was advising that "ink absorber is almost full", but would print when either the black or colour button was pressed for the initial copy, after which it printed without trouble. Having just changed the black cartridge, it now will not function at all.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It should have an error number or code please give me that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5B00
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Open the machine as if you were going to change the ink, then using a lint free cloth dab as much ink as you can from the bottom of the machine. Mainly on the right side where the carriage was before it moved over. Once done turn the machine off and on, then let me know what happens including if you get a new error code like B200 for example.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have to go and get the cloth, etc. Can I get back to you when I've done the necessary?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You can get back to me by going tojustanswer.co.uk and looking under my questions or by leaving this page up. Take all the time you need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the power and warning lights are flashing
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
They should flash in a pattern, it is an error code as well please give me that pattern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
intermittent, green (power) and yellow (alarm); error code 5B00
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
They should flash in a pattern as I mentioned before like 4 yellow 1 green for example.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one of each colour: green/yellow, green/yellow, etc
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That is not good. Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.There is a small area on the ink cartridges that ink will come out of when pushed that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 secondsPlug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK; I'll be back!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just a point: the cartridge carrier seems to be immobile at the left hand side of its track and when I open up the cover it is not moving to the position where I can remove the cartridges
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.Then by hand move the carriage by hand.It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.Then leave it in the middle of the bar.Plug the machine back in and turn it on.Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change, and the cartridge carrier does not seem to be moving
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hold old is the machine? Did you happen to get an extended warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 18 months old, but I didn't take the extended warranty
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
The factory warranty unfortunately only lasts a year and I am sorry to say you are going to need a part to fix this. Without a warranty replacing any part in these models is usually more expensive than replacing the machine itself. Due to that a lot of people end up replacing the machine. To fix this you would need to replace the absorber which is a sponge like pad below the carriage and most likely the circuit board connected to the carriage at the other end of the plastic encoder strip since it is not moving properly. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.