VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

I have an office printer - HP570 - it is making terrible noises

Customer Question

I have an office printer - HP570 - it is making terrible noises when we print. Have been told we just need to replace, but it is only just a year old - how do I know that this is true if no technician has been to see it?
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs, Sorry for the issue, How old is the printer? When did the noises start? The printer has not been damaged to the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI
There has been no damage, the printer is about 14 months old and the noises started about 3 weeks ago; it has been getting worse over the 3 weeks
Ok. There has been no paper clips or staples dropped inside of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, it is when the paper is being pulled through
Ok. And is the noise a "Grinding" sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
more like a whining sound, like a wold howling
Ok. When was the last Driver update for your printer that you installed or was automatically installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it was automatically installed, our IT guys are outsourced so I have no clue.
The noise only happens when someone is printing more than one page at a time, if it is just one page it is fine
does it just need a clean, or the driver updated?
The reason I asked about the Driver Update. I have found that when some HP Printers Drivers are updated. The Printer begins to make this sound. Which, if your driver was updated just before this issue started? It is the Printer driver..
Also, what is the full model name of the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP LaserJet 500 colorMFP M570dw
Yup, this is a rather "Excellent Printer." So it is not prone to dying with in a few months of use.
What version of Windows are you using? Or are you using OS X on a MAC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8 and Windows 2012 - depending if people are logging on through laptops or the remote server, however everyone is printing and having the same issue.
I spoke to our IT guys as well and they say they have not updated the Driver and don't think this would have happened automatically
Ok. Now when was the last time the Fuser was changed in your printer? As this in your model is also a culprit of the whining when printing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have no idea what a Fuser is, so am guess that nothing has been touched on this printer since we bought it for the office - what is a Fuser and how to I change it?
Ok. Great question. The Fuser is the part that fuses the Toner to the paper with in the printer. This is also where the Corona Wire energizes so it can fuse the toner to the paper. If you have IT folks Sir or Madam they should have the parts on hand. Unless that portion is not with in their contract.Only you would know that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so you would advise we get that seen to first and ignore HP advise to get a new printer?
Yes Sir or Madam as it is with in HP's interest to sell you another printer. And, this may be a case of a $45 to $50 part that needs to be replaced or having a Maintenance Contract so the printer is serviced monthly. These work horses do need to be kept up you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks for your help.
This is far better then nearly 1,000 Pounds Sterling to buy another printer.Your thoughts?
Thank you kindly for your business..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes you are right though HP said the parts could not be replaced
Nope, all parts with in you printer can be replaced... That is a bit of a Hard Sale going on there Ms Zoe....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ahhh well thank you for that info, hard to know when I am the least technical person ever.
They have sent us a quote for £207 for a service and repair which I found confusing as they said to get a new one....
Here is the Technical Manual for your printer. It has the Part Number with in it. http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/m570_rm.pdf
Oh those cheeky monkeys!!! So true, they have told you in your statement that there is "Something rotten in Denmark."
A Service Call is a far different animal when compared to buying a whole new printer that they are so happy to sell you...