Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Canon pixma ip4950 not printing black on plain paper from cassette

canon pixma ip4950 not printing black on plain paper from cassette or top tray
I have already deleted the printer and re installed the printer
I have used 2 clean print heads and up to 3 pgi 525 black ink cartridges
I have already done cleaning / deep cleaning / alignment
2 different usb leads in different usb ports and printer settings
are set to a4 standard paper from cassette
note : I can print black using alternative paper settings through
top paper tray but that might be using the cli 526 black ink cartridge
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head (at least for the regular black nozzles), or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function,repeatedly, up to 5 times total. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply I have already carried out all tests repeatedly with 2 serviceable print heads and full ink cartridges
including manual cleaning as suggested I will not be able to sell on this printer as it does not do the basic text printing on plain paper I shall retrieve the print head and ink cartridges and perhaps have better luck with the next ip4950
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and best of luck to you!