Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Epson Stylus Ofice B1100; the printer prts very well; but the

Customer Question

Epson Stylus Ofice B1100; the printer prts very well; but the paper often runs straight through without printing and the 'paper-out' light comes on.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. By the sound of it, you either have an unreliable connection, a slightly corrupt driver (I doubt it, but it's possible), or a paper presence sensor that is not registering the presence of paper when it is actually there. I advise you to open the printer up, examine the paper path esp. where the paper goes into the printer, and look for a stuck or broken or fouled sensor switch. They are small switch-like elements, either pushed down or pushed aside by the passage of paper into the machine. After that, you could try uninstalling the printer driver, restarting your computer, and reinstalling it. (I doubt that will help this kind of problem.) Also try re-seating the cable between printer and computer, first at one end, then at the other. And examine the cable for any sign of wear and tear or stress and strain, and replace it unless it is still new condition and has never been yanked on nor tripped over nor put under a table leg or the like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already discnnected and reconnected the leads; the paper route looks clear and feee. The only sensors(?) I can see are four small white plastic pieces along the front at the base of the paper feed area. All looks OK.
The problem is intermittant. Sometimes I can print ten sheets off straightaway. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to print 11 Christmas Cards! The print quality is as good as it was when the printer was new. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already disconnected and reconnected the leads; the paper route looks clear and feee. The only sensors(?) I can see are four small white plastic pieces along the front at the base of the paper feed area. All looks OK.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, it sounds as if the problem is in a hardware issue, which will require a trip to repair, or a replacement of the printer, eventually.My reasons for thinking so are your failure to see anything wrong (though the four white plastic pieces are not sensors, I'm sure), and the irregular nature of the problem. (Hardware faults requiring repair usually are intermittent when they are not as regular and invariant as severe software problems are.) How old is the printer in question? if less than a year from its purchase date, it would be fixed by the manufacturer under warranty terms.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Still, let's also try an uninstall-restart-reinstall of the printer's driver. To give you instructions on doing that, I will need to know:- what Windows version is on your computer, please.- and, what System Type (either 32-bit or 64-bit) your Windows is, please.- also whether the printer is connected with a USB cable or through a wireless connection.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Printer is Epson Stylus Office B1100 (up to A3+), bought 2010; my software is MacOS 10.6.8
Not sure how to identify the installed printer driver software
(Annoyingly, printer worked first time this morning!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot: connection via USB cable from my iMac to the printer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the complete informational response. (I was offline for an hour or two unavoidably, or I would have responded sooner.) Here's what to do to uninstall and reinstall the printer's drivers: 1. turn Off the printer. Unplug it from the computer. Leave it that way for the following, until (perhaps) the driver installer requires you to plug it in and turn it On... or do so after the end of this procedure, to start using it again. 2. go to the Printers list, and select the printer (Epson B1100) then delete it using the - button. 3. restart your computer. 4. once restarted and logged in again, go tohttp://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=3TnmAJk3En3uBVbE8hu0nJ4gBFAkSix5U002FifPL3UfURUU003D&tc=6 and make sure thatMAC OS X - Intelis selected at left, then click on the Direct Download link next to 'Driver (6.56).'Download that driver and save it to your disk - it is a DMG file, and once the Download is complete, double-click on its icon, to start the installer.(To be honest, when I tried it just now, the server seemed very unresponsive. I hope it isn't that way when you try to download it.) 5. install the driver. That ought to do it. We'll see whether it improves the performance, though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the printer list? I also use another printer for scanning (Eppson Stylus Office B300F) which I don't want to 'loose' from my set-up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the printer list? I also use another printer for scanning (Eppson Stylus Office B300F) which I don't want to 'loose' from my set-up (Sorry - found printer list in MAC preferences and I havenow deleted the B1100
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The printers list is in something like the following: "Nearby Printers" is a list of available printers that will appear right inside your printer dialog box. Or you can go to System Preferences, and find them there, I think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did as instrucyed and have reisntalled the printer driver. Can I come back tomorrow when I shall have some pronting to do, to let you know how it's gone?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, returning tomorrow is A-OK. Return at your convenience and let me know if the printer driver reinstall makes it more reliable - I hope so, though I don't really expect it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today, I have managed to print, but something odd is happening. An hour or so ago I managed to get one sheet to print. Now I am trying to print a 22 page .pdf (Acrobat Reader); it again appears in the print monitor as a job being sent to print. Then the job simply disappears from the print queue. I have unplugged the printer from the computer, checked the driver, re-plugged and it has happened again. Help!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try looking at the print job in Print Preview first.Try a different application than Adobe Acrobat. FoxIt for Windows has its points as a PDF application, esp. for printing since its print controls (last I checked) are much more flexible. (And it's free, of course.) But if this sort of error persists, it's to be feared that your printer has a hardware problem and has become erratic. (How long is the USB cable between printer and computer? longer than 6 feet can cause problems.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** of Foxlt, but I'll try to find it and give it a go. The printer cable is about 3 feet long, and the printer is about two feet from the iMac! Might there be a prblem 'registering' my printer on my iMac? This problem as only occurred since I followed instruction and re-loaded the printer driver! But thanks for your contined help
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
FoxIt Reader:https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/ It looks to me as if the problem has changed slightly.But have you printed something off the printer since you did the reinstall of the driver, successfully?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just discovered i need MacOS10.8, so I can't downoad Foxit!Yes I have printed two sheets - both had similar problems ,but I eventually managed - not sure how!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Your printer seems to me to need a trip to the printer repair shop, or to be replaced whenever possible. Meanwhile, as a last thing to try, you could plug it into a different USB port on your computer... sometimes some USB ports are erratic or non-functional, but others work fine. I have had that experience with my own computers all too often.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! This morning, I did an alignment/colour print check - all OK. Then successfully printed a 3-page .pdf document, with only 6 sheets running through without printing. However, I am now having trouble printing a colour 'card' from Adobe Reader - never experienced ths difficuly before. The job appears in the Printer Status for about 5 seconds, then disappears without printing.
Basically, nothing has changed since I first contacted you, except for not being able to print from Adobe Acrobat, which I used to be able to do!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you installed FoxIt for Windows ?Have you used, lately and recently, both Adobe Acrobat Reader to print PDF files from, and FoxIt for Windows also ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did say that Foxit only works on MacOS 10.8 and above. I use 10.6.8 and it will not load. Today I printed a 3-page A4 document; and from a .pdf, one side of a christmas card; but since then all jobs appear in the printer queue, data downloading; then suddenly disappear without printing! I am swearing at my kit now! I have repeatedly runed the compyter off, the orinter off, disconnecetd the printer from the computer - all to no avail.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try my previous instructions for uninstalling, restarting the computer, and reinstalling the printer driver. See if PDF printing works after that, at least briefly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will do - and thanks for your patience!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Your patience is also admirable. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jusr printed a 'screen shot' of a map just fine, straight off. Then tried to print my Christmas Card, goes to the print queue, then disappears!! Must be somehing to do with my Adobe Acrobat, possibly. I am going to try downloading a simple earlier version fo Acrobat Reader and see if that works.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That's what I would have suggested, I approve. Try a different version of Acrobat (I prefer FoxIt for reasons you can comprehend now).If that fails, uninstall the versions of Acrobat Reader, whatsoever they be provided they be 'Reader; then restart the computer; then reinstall Acrobat Reader.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I have today managed to print a few things, but every time it is sheer torture; and I seem to have to get to a "Print Monitor quit unexpectedly" - see screen shot attached. I have reloaded Acrobat Reader, but I can't seem to get hold of the copy that used to use until last week, which was 9.5.5 - this allowed me, when printing, to open various dialogues to set paper size; paper surface; print quality,etc. I miss this badly! I am getting a bit desperate - if it takes me half an hour to print anything slightly unusual (an A4 sheet prited immediately) it will drive me mad. Happy Christmas, by the way!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Do you need a source for Acrobat Reader 9.5.x ? that will work with MAC OS X 10.6. Have you already tried a complete removal of the Epson software from your machine, followed by a restart to clear out vestiges in memory, followed by a full reinstall of the Epson software. The Epson Print Monitor error basically means "printer software corrupt". Try also, before that, a printing system reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I had removed all Epson printer softewar, but could you tell me how best to do this? (I also have an Epson Office BX300F linked to my iMac, whch I use for scanning).
Yes, I'd like to down load Acrobat Reeader 9.5.5.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I admit I cannot find version 9.5. 10.1 is available from Adobe's site, for MAC OS X 10.6.And 9.5 is available for Windows, but not for MAC. You may have to remove (uninstall) and reinstall *all* Epson software, for the other Epson BX300F as well as the B1100.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/download/?installer=Reader_10.1.4_English_UK_for_Mac_Intel&standalone=1 is where you can get Adobe Acrobat ver. 10.1.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good day Russell and happy New Year.
Sorry to say I am having more troble than ever. I deleted the newer version of Acrobat Reader and reverted to the one I used before (9.5.5). I have deleted and reloaded the Epson printer driver several times. I now have to turn off everything, turn on,disconnect the printer, reconnect etc. etc. every time I want to print - and that doesn't always work!Often, the printer "Print Queue" monitor says that a sheet has been successfully printed when it hasn't! (See picture 3 - most of these shown as "completed" didn't print at al! My original trouble (paper going through without printing) now seems a relatively minor irritation compared to my current difficulties! I have trouble like this printing from my CAD software (Vectorworks 2008), and from Acrobat Reader. It can take me 30 - 45 minutes to get the bloody stuff to print and it's driving me up the wall!It seems there must be a software issue (clashing? incompatibility?) as when the bloody ting eventually does deign to print the quality is as good as ever. One particular feature now: printing from Acrobat, I go to "Print Quality" then click on the little tools symbol (picture 1) - which causes a 'search' for the printer- which comes up, and I confirm, and then sometimes does print by this method. But it is all extremely painful,and slow. I then get this message (picture 2)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What anti-virus software do you have?
If you have none, I recommend Avast.com. I think their software against viruses is both
- free
and
- Apple-compatible.
Your sense that there is some sort of 'clashing? incompatibility?' in the software, might be a meaningful sense that malware or virus is in the works (and, being written not-to-spec and often carelessly and amateurishly, viruses often tend to foul up the works to an unusual extent once they are established.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have Avast installed thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you recently run a Full Scan, or a Deep Scan, with Avast, after fully updating it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, never tried that! I'll see if I can do this. I do use Mac OS Utilities for a clean up about every fortnight; also CleanMyMac about as often. Give me an hour and I'll try to do an Avast Full Scan. Thanks Russell
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
By all means, and remember to Update the Avast program first, before running the scan. Thanks, ***** ***** me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to install Avast for Mac for the last hour; when I try to insall Avast (I have been given a registration "key" code) I get a message saying I have an incompatible software installed called Sophos Anti-Virus, and must reove it before installing Avast. I have searched everywhere and can find no trace of Sophos anywhere (Applications, desktop, etc.). This is preventing me installing Avast
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to install Avast for Mac for the last hour; when I try to insall Avast (I have been given a registration "key" code) I get a message saying I have an incompatible software installed called Sophos Anti-Virus, and must reove it before installing Avast. I have searched everywhere and can find no trace of Sophos anywhere (Applications, desktop, etc.). This is preventing me installing Avast. I have done another CleanMyMac; and a DISK utility scan. My gun is handy as I am about to shoot myself!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Sophos? This is Sophos:https://secure2.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition-legacy/free-download.aspx It appears that you didn't actually have Avast, though you said previously that you did have it installed. Look for a directory in your Programs folder (or your Applications folder) named Sophos. Is one there?Did you try recklessly deleting files from such a folder, before this? if so, then I would guess Sophos software is still partially there... and the ultimate solution to your problem may be to back up all your data off your computer's hard disk, onto a separate device e.g. a flash drive, then reformat your hard disk and re-install MAC OS X (if you have a MAC OS X install disk.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After several hours removing other anti-virus stuff, I finally installed Avast and did a full scan, took 2 hours. Here are the reports. Avast says I am 'clean'! What next?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
See how it goes now.Let me know, please, within a few days at most. Thanks.