Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Ihave a Canon MG5150 which was working well until I attempted

Customer Question

Ihave a Canon MG5150 which was working well until I attempted a pattern check I now have a message which says Printer error has occurred. Unplug the power cord and contact the servive center
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. This error should show a code with it like C000, 6A00, B200 etc. Please give me that code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
B200
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid you were going to say that B200 is a very bad error that can mean multiple things and can be caused by multiple parts.You said the carriage will not move so lets start with that.Turn the machine off and unplug it.Then by hand move the carriage by hand.It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.Then leave it in the middle of the bar.Plug the machine back in and turn it on.Give it a minute or two to detect the carriage in the middle and recalibrate it.Let me know the results either way after doing this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All worked well until I closed the "lid" and the message re appeared
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Is it the same number still?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes still B200
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.There is a small area on the ink cartridges ink will come out of when pushed that is normal just get any dried ink off of that area.Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 secondsPlug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasnt asked me to insert cartridges, Same B200 message has appeared
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a latch or lever you can lift on the carriage? Some models you pull the latch towards you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
small lever on cartridge Just push lever forward and lift cartridge
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the cartridges and look at the carriage itself, is there one on the carriage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ihave lifted lever and removed the cartridge holder!!!!!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok good, with that removed is the B200 error still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still there
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Darn, how old is the machine? Did you happen to get an extended warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 2 years no warrenty. never had a problem until today
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
This error has a few causes as I mentioned before. The first is the carriage not moving which if that was the cause the original steps I gave you would have fixed. Next is the print head (cartridge holder) failing and needing to be cleaned or replaced. If the print head was the cause the error would have changed with it removed. Unfortunately that leaves only the logic board failing and needing to be replaced. Without a warranty this can be expensive and a lot of the time it is cheaper to replace the machine itself. A lot of technicians wont even do the repair for this reason. If it had been under a year old or you had an extended warranty this would have been covered which is why I asked. I was hoping you still had one. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your efforts anyway