Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I bought it in April this year. I have always used non Epson cartridges successfully sin

I bought it in April this year.
I have always used non Epson cartridges successfully since I got it and go through sequences to get it to accept them.
I have just replaced cartridges but it doesn't like the black. It has an unchanged error message and I can't bypass this message to enter the menu
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The generic cartridges only have about a 60% success rate, and while you may have been lucky with them so far, you will inevitably get a bad cartridge at some point. The generic cartridges are specifically prohibited by epson, they wear out the printhead about 3x as fast, and they void your warranty. At a minimum, you'll need to try a different black cartridge at this point, but preferably use the proper oem epson black, at least for now, to get through this message. Beyond that, There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc). What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan I cleaned the contacts, and did the off at plug and 2 minutes of power switch, and I got no change. The error message "Cartridges incorectly placed" persisted through the switching on process. The Black cartridge is now leaking and a bit messy. So I will have to buy another one tomorrow to continue with this.So what should I do. Buy a full set of Epson cartridges redo this process and fit them? Or should I do somenting else first do you think? It is only the black one that is repeatedly showing the fault at thsi point.I have decided that if I can revive thsi printer I will put it on low useage so would be happy to maintain it with Epson cartridges.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I think you'd be okay with getting just a genuine epson black, at least for now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok That is waht I will do. Do I do anything different with it than the process you outlined?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
No same steps as above, just make sure that black slot is good and clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Nathan, I followed the procedure you gave me with a new Black Epson cartridge.
It worked fine.
I had to transport the printer home with me and another Wi-Fi set up. So I had trouble getting it going again.
Tell me, are injections of ink into the existing cartridges likely to be less problematic?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well hopefully, yes, the other cartridges shouldn't have any issues at this point, if you were able to get past the error on this one.Though for generics, color can fail just a easily. If they were recognized though, that is the primary battle, and they are usually fine from that point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nathan.
So just to be clear. I now have an Epson Black and the colours are from alternative providers and I may possibly have issues with these coloured cartridges in the future.
I haven't replenished cartridges with ink before, but if I do that with the new black one (as it is a cartridge accepted by the printer) it is worth trying?
If it is worth trying it would want to be a decent quality ink. Can you recommend suppliers please?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can typically get away with refilling an existing genuine cartridge, though there are limits to how many times or how long it will be accepted. Typically a few times is fine though. http://amzn.to/1IGMg7c There are often local printer shops ("cartridge world" is a common store here in the US, I'm sure you have something similar in a big city) that will also do the refill for you if you take in your cartridges.
Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair