Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I have an Epsom 315 series air wave printer. Up until

Hi, I have an Epsom 315 series air wave printer. Up until Christmas it was working fine. Today I changed two ink cartridges and now when I print off my iPhone it is missing large chunks of text and prints the odd line with half of it missing, horizontally that is. I have cleaned the print heads twice Nd done nozzle checks. There is a tiny bit of black missing on these but otherwise seem to be ok. What is happening and what can I do to get it right.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Julia.Can you please try making a photocopy, directly from the glass (test both black and color modes) and let me know how those come out?Also are you using genuine epson inks, or generic/refilled ones?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan, Firstly I am using Epsom inks. The colour photos have copied a bit better than the black text. There are patches of non existent black text and faint patches of black text. Lots of horizontal lines. But again better with the colour than the black.Regards, Julia.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to say - it is now saying the black ink cartridge is low. Is it ok to run it til empty or should I change it now, such a waste if there is about 20%left.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The cartridge is ok for now, it will prompt you when replacement is actually required. These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, another couple of cleans appears to have done the trick for text anyway. Guess I will have to try and use it on a more regular basis. Only had it a couple of years max. Could you recommend a similarly priced model for when the time does come?
Thanks for your help, regards, Julia
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1PNote that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subisized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan