Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

M Canon MG3550 printer intermittently won't connect to my router.

Customer Question

M Canon MG3550 printer intermittently won't connect to my router. Any idea?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Such a problem happens as often from a problem with the router as it does with a problem in the printer.So to tell which is at fault (perhaps, if one of them is), try to assess whether other devices have a problem with the WiFi connection, whether slowing down or stopping. The other factor to be looked for is signal interference. Is there a cordless phone, or a microwave oven that is often operating, anwhwere near either the printer or the WiFi router? or perhaps some other motorized appliance that produces radio frequency noise ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russel. Thanks for your answer.
The printer is the only device exhibiting this problem. Sometimes when I turn it on it will not connect to the router and not even after several attempts with turning it off and on. After a period of functioning the connection can be lost. There is no problem when I use a USB cable. Several laptops and mobile phones connect automatically and without problems. I have asked the Canon service department, and they even tested the printer, but they did not observe the problem and concluded wrongly that the printer is OK.
Thanks in advance. Erik
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what test the Canon department did? and was it a remote test? When did you last try setting the printer up from scratch? as if it were a brand new printer. And, if you did that, did it help with the problem at least temporarily?Do you know whether your printer is set up with a 'fixed IP Address' or a 'static IP Address' ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Russel.
I don't know what Canon did, they just returned the printer with the message that no error was found.
I will try to reinstall the printer from scratch.
I don't know its IP Address. What difference does it make? How can I find out? If necessary, how can I set a proper IP Address?
Erik
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I can give you instructions on installing your Canon printer again. Please tell me your computer's Windows version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer has Windows 10 installed
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response and the information. I need to ask one more thing:- go toControl Panelthen go toSystem and Securitythen go toSystemand tell me what System Type is listed, 32-bit, or 64-bit ? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and network. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.) So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer. Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your Canon printer and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting. Then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and use Uninstall (or Remove or Change/Remove) to get rid of all programs specific to your Canon printer. Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again. Then, go tohttp://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg3550.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=Windows%2010%20%2864-bit%29 and make sure thatWindows 10 (64-bit)is selected, and then choose theMG3500 series Full Driver & Software packageand download it.Save it to disk, then double-click on the downloaded file, and do the driver installation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Russel.
I followed your instructuons and re-installed the printer on my two laptops. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem! I had no problem doing the installation and both laptops connected to the printer during installation. But today the situation is unchanged. iPad and iPhones in my family can also not connect to the printer. During the night router and laptops were turned off.
Do you have another suggestion?
After all, the printer did not cost a fortune, and I consider buying another one.
Erik
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps trying a new printer will be OK. But I note: after reinstallation according to my instructions,you found the printer working.But after yesterday, after a restart of the router, you find the printer inaccessible. Try leaving the router On *all the time*. Do the uninstall and reinstall again. Leave the router On after that (the handhelds and the computers can be shut down and turn Off, just fine. Even the printer can be turned Off. But the router should be left On, period.)See if that makes the printer accessible for days and days... if so, I know why, and can explain why.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Russel
Since my last contact with you, my mobile Apple devices (iPhones, iPad) cannot register the printer. Please help again.
Erik
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More: I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Canon printer app, which makes no difference.
Erik
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the updates, Erik. I think that I have to ask: Have you, lately, been leaving the router turned On, all the time, night and day without shutting it Off, for at least days at a time?That is necessary and recommended.