Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I've got HP 5510 printer, 4 years old, no problems until

Hi, I've got HP 5510 printer, 4 years old, no problems until now. Black ink will not print, colours OK. Have tried cleaning etc. but still no print. Any ideas?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Alyn. These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nathan, thank you for your response. It is as I feared, that there is likely to be a failure that cannot be readily fixed at a low price. I am not adept at taking things apart so I have decided to do as you recommend, i.e. get a new printer. It is probably about time, in truth. Thank you for your assistance & kind regards, Alyn