Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

My Canon MP260 printer, about 4 years old, is suddenly showing

My Canon MP260 printer, about 4 years old, is suddenly showing Error Message E03, although I can find no sign of a paper blockage. I suspect a software failure ~ can you please suggest how I can put this right.
Thank you ..... Esmic
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Can you please open the printer cover and let me know, if the cartridges move to the replacement position or seems to jammed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cartridges move to the centre then back to the right
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** tell me, what have exactly happened just before the error code started to blink ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched the printer on and typed the Print command on the computer. The printer initially made its usual noise, but did not pick up the paper, and the error code appeared.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Please open the link below and try to follow the steps, let me know if you have already tried those steps. https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART104309
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spent considerable time looking in the printer and can confirm that there is no foreign material in any part of the mechanism. Online investigation suggests that that misleading error messages may be removed by resetting the printer's software, which require the inputting of certain codes and printer button settings.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
No, it cannot be solved like that, because the problem you are facing is caused due to defective sensor, which is actually a micro switch, which is pressed or unpressed by paper load to signal the printer and the printer decode that signal to know, if there is any problem or not. As you have not found anything in the path and there is no paper jam in real, it means the sensor is defective and sending wrong signal to the printer. Unfortunatly, you cannot replace it at home. Now, honestly speaking the replacement cost of the sensor is sometimes more than the price of a new printer, because to replace the sensor, the printer need to be completely dismantled. As a technician I can suggest one thing, which you can try at home. Just unplug each and every cable from the printer then, turn over the printer and shake it , if there is anything lodged inside the printer, it will come out and this can solve the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your advice, unplugged the printer and gave it a good shake. Nothing came out, but it has suddenly started working again, the error code having disappeared !!
I've no idea what the problem was, but must give you the credit for solving it ~ thank you, I'm glad I gave you a call.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
That's great!!, it means the switch was stuck due to some reason and it got released due to the shaking. Anyway, I am happy that, your problem was solved now. Please let me know, if you need any further information, otherwise please remember to give positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to give you top marks Sowrav.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Please give the rating at the top of this page and click the submint button to complete the rating.