Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I have a Canon MG4250 I tried to print onto a thin piece of

I have a Canon MG4250
I tried to print onto a thin piece of tracing paper which ripped in the machine leaving half in there. I have looked in the front and back - used a torch and can see nothing. I am getting a print error 5100 which will not go away. I tried to look under the ink cartridges but now that won't close either. Any ideas?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).
Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
support code 5100 is still there and nothing happens. It will still be jammed as the paper is still in there.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ask you remove the power to it, open it up where the ink cartridges go and using a vacuum, vacuum it out completely.
Then close ti back up, power it up and tell me if it now functions please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of a vacum?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
A vacuum cleaner, that you use to vacuum your floors ect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you turn it off you can't open the ink cartridge case
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The printer will open, whether it has power or not, you open the cover, where you replace the ink cartridges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing doing, there is still half a sheet of A1 paper in there somewhere
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, what do you mean with nothing doing? You wont do this? You cannot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have done it and the problem remains. The phone reception is too bad where I am
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you follow this video please and make sure that you follow all the steps to check everywhere for the paper.
http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ErrorCode/MX450%20series/EN/ERR/1303.html
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have done all that and searched for any sign of that bit of paper with a torch, but there is no sign of it and now the ink cartridges are stuck on the left again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if you push on the Ink Cartridges, can you get them to move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, where do I push them to?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
towards the center, just o try to get it unstuck so it functions again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in the centre and stuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing moves and the error code is still there
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove the power cable, wait 1 minutes, plug it back in and tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the ink cartridges are back, but the error codes are still there
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If your sure there is no paper then It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
We have ruled out all other causes for it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
However the paper must still be in there as I only have the torn half that came out printed. Where could it be and how do I get to it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you have checked everywhere as per my instructions and the video, then you have seen every location it could be. If the ink cartridges where also not moving it points to the mainboard.
But when you return it, they are going to have to dissemble the printer anyway and if the paper is still in there, they will see this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but I think it is out of warranty- which means a new printer I guess - all because of a jammed piece of paper!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It would get a repair cost on it first, as if your sure the paper is in there, then dismantling it for a trained expert is not a long process and should not cost too much.
But no printer is made for tracing paper, it can burn out the print head and cause a lot of issues, so you must avoid using this in the future.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering