Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Canon MP230 has a wide black band down the right side which

Customer Question

My Canon MP230 has a wide black band down the right side which prints off. It is like a shadow from the left side of the text.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It may be that your printer, and inkjet type, has a defective or saturated wiper, and that the printhead has become somewhat inky. And that the ink is wiping off onto the page. But I haven't seen the error, so I cannot really judge what it is just yet. (A scan of such a page, and posting it to me, would allow me to judge adequately as to what the printing problem is.) Cleaning the wiper and seeing whether that improves results or cures the problem at least temporarily, wouldn't hurt at all - provided you remove all cartridges from the printer first, and set them aside on their sides on a fourfold-folded piece of fresh paper towel, to guard against ink spills or stains... without touching their copper-colored electronic contacts or inky underside at any time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks but what and where exactly is the wiper? The black area is present on the preview before I have even printed or scanned but if I do print obviously it is there. There is also some shading as the text on the left of the document starts again on the same spot as the black column appears so about a third of the text is not there.

A black area that is present on the Print Preview ??That sounds strange. I really need to see a scan of the error on the printed page, for this sort of error is not owing to wiper or inking system problems, if it is on the Print Preview.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It is on my screen. Can you take over my screen to see?

If you cannot scan a sample, then you could get a screenshot of the print preview, then post that to me, since it shows the error according to you. But taking over your screen, though it could be done, would require a formal offer of that service, and some additional charge to you. I'll do it though, if you would prefer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'd be more thah happy to send you the picture but you will have to explain to me how I take a screenshot and then post.

Is your computer a Windows PC? If so,- take a screenshot by displaying the window with the info you need, then pressing PrtScrn (or, for an image of just the window selected ('in focus' as they call it), hold down Alt and press PrtScrnwill store a screenshot in the Clipboard. (PrtScrn is sometimes labeled 'Prt sc' on some keyboard.) - open the Paint program, and hold down Ctrl and press V. That puts the screenshot into Paint, then you can edit it, or just save it to a file byFile - Save As - then you go to the JustAnswer.com Reply editor screen as a customer, and use the 'Paperclip' icon to post the image file you saved from the screenshot, to your Reply to me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK I'll try. ......................................Sorry I have the file saved in paint but I don't understand the form that drops down when I click on paperclip.....insert/edit image etc???

You clip on paperclip, then on Browse, I think, then locate the file where you saved it, select that... more or less... and it should save it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm wasting time now. I have tried everything I can and put the image in my pictures now and still cannot access it. I can't see the option to browse. My printer is perfectly OK with ordinary printing. I need this copy this morning. I'm about to give up.

Just tried again and no luck. I have used just answer a few times and the expert was happy to take over my screen at no extra cost.

I'm sorry - somehow your response did not get called to my attention before this.

If you'd like to continue with this case, I will willingly take over your screen at the right time for both of us, to circumvent any difficulties and do what I can for the case. If it's not too late.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have replied to another email to say I would like you to take over my screen. Perhaps you could try for yourself or show me how to attach by paper clip for another time. I am not happy to pay more really as I have not had to before and this problem hasn't even been looked into yet.

Thank you for agreeing to my request. I hope it will help settle this problem somewhat faster and save you a bit of trouble.

I am ready to 'take over your screen'... but I have only a few hours in which to do so.
You're in UK, and I'm in the East USA, so our times are 5 hours different.

I offer this link to start the process of my taking a remote look at your screen, and at an image of the print problem:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=4354448b-d9f6-49a3-a532-3ce357bedc0e

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I seem to be still waiting!

I'm sorry for the delay. You are in UK and I'm in a USA Time Zone.
I am ready to try that Remote Control effort again, if you would click on this link before 6 p.m. UK Time, please (after which I will be unavailable for a time, then it will be evening, etc.):

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/printers/9j9aw-canon-mp230-wide-black-band-down-right-side.html?rpt=1350
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have clicked on the link and all I get is to keep going to the start of our question answer correspondence. I would like to resolve this issue urgently now especially as I have had to pay upfront for everything.

Addition: Well it's 17.43 by my computer and I started trying to contact you just after 17.30. What happened to 18.00 hrs?

I'm still here.

I am sorry - I cannot presently wait longer with a connection open.

I will post again later.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am at home but my computer is upstairs and I am not in the same room all the time. If you give me a time I can try to be available but at the moment we are getting nowhere. When I checked 10 mins before 6pm UK time it said you were offline. You said you were available until 6pm and now I see you say you are still there at 6.11pm.......................!No doubt there is a way to send by paperclip but when I click on it it does not give me an option to browse. It's 5 days now.

I stayed where I was a little later, tried to get the remote session working.Perhaps firewall limits where I was made the effort useless.This fuss and fooling around is regrettable to me also.Please try these options:1. send it to me through Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, they will email it to me.2. or else, just post it to filedropper.com, and reply to me with the file posting URL.That will get the screen shot to me, and I will at last be able to make some progress with this case.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

href=http://www.filedropper.com/kodakpension

That doesn't work. It produces no, 0, zilch file. Try it yourself and see. So far we have not been able to connect a remote session, and have not been able to transfer a file. I'm Opting Out, which does not cut off communication, it just opens it to other Experts in this category. If I cannot help you further (and I'm still open to that) I hope another Expert can. In the meantime, by all means try to send that file through Customer Support, which may be contacted throughhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes I tried that several times but I couldn't see where to attach a document. I have to say I have found you most unhelpful. All the things you have asked me to do have been impossible for me to see how to do and your attempt at taking over my screen, which you obviously don't want to do, has been a joke. I suggested to say a time and you ignore me. I ask how I attach my document to the paperclip as I have no option to browse and you ignore me. I wish I had saved my money and taken it to my local shop where they are usually more than helpful. Tomorrow it will be a week. You try to send a file through customer support and maybe you could let me know how it's done. all I get is a series of drop down selections and a block for text. What a waste of time.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 11 months ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

I'm sorry that you seem to think I have been impeding your efforts, when I have really been spending time and effort on it.

Contact Customer Support please - *contact* them. Don't look for a file-sending option on the page for Customer Support. You contact them, and they send the file to me. That's how it works. Please try it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Why have you closed my question when it has not been resolved? I have managed at last to send the copy to***@******.***

We've received your image and I've attached it to your post above for the expert to review.
I must apologize forCustomer... no such attachment appears.I am contacting people in question and getting this straightened out if I can. May I say that such difficulty very seldom happens?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I can see the attachment on my just answer system and open it too.

I really regret having to say this... but it isn't visible to *me*. I have already started an inquiry to straighten this out.
I have resolved the problem and have received your screen-shot image of the problem.
That image is an email.Your email may be superimposing an image of something else - a blocked ad banner or esp. a blocked sidebar - onto the printed image.Do you get that black sidebar with printing e.g. a Notepad file (all text) ?What program are you printing the email from? I would suspect it was either Internet Explorer, or MS Outlook. The sidebar (if that's what it is, and if it is only happening when printing from email) can be eliminated for sure... if it can be identified as such. So once again: please respond and answer the above two questions. And, I still offer to log on to your computer remotely - on or around 9 p.m. your time today, or earlier (that would be 4 p.m. or earlier, my time) to try to fix the problem myself, while you watch. If you wish to try that, here's the link to click on... but please let me know the above, and let me know that you are waiting to connect, before clicking on that link, if you want to try it earlier than your 9 p.m. time today. Thanks.http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=2fab6b6c-2ced-471a-aac3-b53a093bb20f
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Everything I scan has the black bar down the right hand side and a shadow of the text. If I print directly from the screen there is no problem whether it is an email or a document. I received the email from your customer support so I printed it off to try to follow the instructions. This printed off without the black bar. I then scanned the document on my printer and there was the black bar again. I don't know if I have answered your questions sufficiently but would be Ok to let you take over the screen as soon as poss before 9pm.

The dark bar is on the scans, then. That's a hardware problem - a problem with your scanner hardware. It means part of the 'scanner bulb' has failed or burnt out, almost certainly. Your scanner - is it part of an all-in-one printer? the scanner part of it will have to be serviced.(To test this for sure, do a photocopy - if it is an all-in-one printer-scanner-copier - and see if the bar is on the photocopy also.)
(I won't need to take over your screen. This is a purely hardware issue. Thanks anyway! and it's been good working with you on this. I would think the case was finished, but I'd like to be sure it's all wrapped up adequately.)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I can't say it has been good to work with you. My impression is it's all been just too much trouble to follow through and really try to help me. Your company's support team have been great but this has really put me off ever using Just Answer again. I have had to pay for this truly frustrating experience and I am furious at the time I have wasted and the money.