WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician
21171802

Canon Pixma ip4500 - I have three of these, and all three do

Canon Pixma ip4500 - I have three of these, and all three do not now power up.
I had one that stopped, so disassembled body to see what/if I could see/test anything, in meantime acquired two others cheaply on eBay (in anticipation of spare parts), and an ip4300 locally, which only printed in colour, but no black - can't solve that yet.
Have several power cables and checked fuses to ensure OK.
On the new ones, one appeared to work fine and did some work, so know head (was) OK, the other, I was aware it would not power up, but head appears to be clear.
Is there a common fault here, that can be rectified easily.... or what should I test for, as I've not found a local printer technician as yet, and whether it's cost effective to do so. Have 1200ml of various inks, that I don't really want to waste, and the printers are good units, and just seem a shame to dispose of.
Thanks in advance.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
HI, I can help answer your questions.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
There are several faulty parts to test for. The print heads for certain as the ink could be so dry that it clogged the print head beyond repair and would require replacement. As for the printers not powering on, that would be the power supply module / circuit board. The only way to test that is with a multi meter to determine if it is getting power to it. To replace it would cost more than it's worth since there might be other issues with the printers. Getting a printer technician would be best, ***** ***** also cost about the same as new printer. In the end, I would say it's best to get a new printer that is under warranty.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any other questions, I will be glad to answer.Also, please rate my answer below based on your satisfaction. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi WesPCDr,
All 3 print heads appeared to working all OK, as swopped them around to test them before the last printer gave up, and had also cleaned them before hand as ink flowing nicely thro' all of them.Is there any way (for me) to test the (easily) removable power pack and/or the circuit board - images attached of disassembled printer / circuit board. if they help. Both are easily removed, just don't know how to test them, as was hoping to get at least 1 printer working !
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Without proper equipment and training, it is very dangerous to test the components of the circuit board.With the power unplugged, you can look near the power plug and see where that leads to see if there is a fuse that is blown.Otherwise, it's down to checking the resistors and capacitors for problems which is dangerous and without knowledge of how to measure those, I cannot easily describe how to test it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that's fine, as I suspected, so that's beyond me, so I might still try to find a local technician,as might be same or different problem on each, but may be able to get one up and running. Had checked for a fuse .. as seemed the obvious, but none.
Thanks for your help anyway.Peter
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Glad to help. With these types of issues, the circuit boards are most difficult to troubleshoot and do require an experienced technician. They do charge for parts and labor so you might want to check that first and make sure it's not more than the cost of a new printer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks. just such a shame to get rid of 3 printers.