Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a cannon MP540 printer coupled to a Macintosh desk top

I have a cannon MP540 printer coupled to a Macintosh desk top computer. On original installation the computer operating system was OSX v 10.5 and all has been working well.
Note that copying a printed sheet on the printer still works perfect, did this to check printer was working.
Two weeks ago on request from Macintosh i upgraded the operating system to OSX EI CAPITAN, computer is functioning normally. However I had a problem with the internet interface, which with the help of TALK TALK was resolved, I think the problem was the new operating system and not the long power outage which occurred the same day.
Yesterday I tried to print off a document from computer to printer, when print button was pressed the printer failed to respond and did not print. A flashed unreadable signal appeared on the screen but no response from the printer.
Is the computer not now talking to the printer via new operating system, or has some other problem happened ? What can be done to resolve this problem ?
Regards ***** *****
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.How is the printer connected to the computer usb wired or wifi?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the canon uk website lists that the canon mp540 is not compatible with the El Capitan version of macosthis means that the printer will not work with macos 10.11 version and it will only work with older version of macAs per canon " This product is not supported with the operating system selected and no drivers will be made available. Please consider upgrading either your product or operating system to a model or version that is supported. "so this printer will work with older versions only and for the el capitan you will have to get a new printer compatible with mac os 10.11 I am sorry to be the bearer of the news but unfortunately this ia limitation from Canon itself.Let me know if you have any more questionsI hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the answer I was hoping for , but thanks for the information. I do not require any additional help.Regards, brian