Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a canon printer FC200, which started printing a large

Customer Question

I have a canon printer FC200, which started printing a large and broad strip along the left hand side. I replaced the toner cartridge and vacuumed up a small amount of ink powder on the left and side. There is still a lighter band about 2 cm wide along the edge with the new cartridge. This has not changed over 10 photocopies. Any suggestions please.
Steven
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I suspect that the 'drum' is damaged in a strip, that produces that strip of lighter printing. Such as this E-30 drum:http://www.agawa.pl/opc-drum-with-gears-canon-fc-200-109***-***-****5-eng.html The 'drum' cannot be repaired... even slightly touching its surface can damaged it permanently. So, also, the new drum should never touch anything. And before putting it in, examine carefully the area it will be put in, to make quite sure that no part is loose and touching it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Steven
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I hope that my advice is useful to you. Please rate my answer, if you consider the case done. (If not, I'd like to hear how it turns out in due course.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Following your answer I looked at the website that you gave me concerning the drum and also a pdf of the Canon manual for the FC200. I think that the drum is part of the toner cassette and as I advised you I had put in a new cassette with the same result of dark toning as the old one. The black band along the side of the photocopy facing me, where the colour adjuster toggle is not as wide or black as with the old cassette.
So I have decided to take the printer to a local repair centre, armed with your advice, so that they can sort it out. If the repair is not economical I shall have to buy a new one.
Regards,
Steven
PS I rate your advice as helpful but it may not be the answer to my problem
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, and I understand your doubts.The drum being damaged is the usual first thing to examine in such a case.(Note: the 'drum' roller is part of and included in the 'cartridge', if you can see, looking into or inside the cartridge, a shiny, metallic-blue or metallic-blue-greenish roller... that's the drum for sure. Note again: you need to not touch the shiny metallic roller with *anything*.) So be sure to move the little bright-colored sliding plastic tab, back and forth, to do the corona wire cleaning. IF the corona wire is slightly occluded or touched with toner powder, it can also have the effect of dimming the printout in a stripe. So look for that sliding tab, and try that on the current cartridge also, please. And try 2 printed pages or photocopied pages, and see what the result is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
Thank you for coming back to me. I am looking at the old cassette and have found out how to raise the cover that is over the drum roller. The drum roller does have a small band of toner marking on it in the area that I have my problem on the photocopies. I have not touched the drum roller. I am looking for the sliding plastic tab, without success. There is something small, plastic and green at one end of the drum roller, which probably rolls against the aluminium end of the drum roller. Otherwise it all seems to be black plastic.
The new cassette has an unmarked drum roller, but without the small green bit so I am probably looking in the wrong area for the cleaning tab and the corona wire.
Regards,
Steven
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The small, green, plastic at one end of the drum roller - unless it is inside the cover that you pushed aside - might be just what you are looking for.What you should look for is outside the sliding door, etc. I can show you an example, in a moment.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
This is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rpxgOttp4g though it is not your cartridge, not in a Brother printer. If you look at the video at0:19 min.you will see the tab for cleaning, a green square. Look for something similar on your cartridge's exterior.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response and the video clip. I definitely do not have a cleaning tab on either of my cassettes. I have looked at the FC200 manual and the advice is to clean the photosensitive drum with a flannel cloth coated with toner. I am loathe to do this as the new cassette has a perfectly clean drum but the printed copies have a couple of broad black stripes in the direction of flow. One dark one on the edge and a paler one in the centre.
I now think that there must be a different solution to cleaning the drum, something else is not right, which requires a service or a new photocopier.
Regards,
Steven
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
As your original posting said: started printing a large and broad strip along the left hand side. I replaced the toner cartridge and vacuumed up a small amount of ink powder on the left and side. There is still a lighter band about 2 cm wide along the edge with the new cartridge. This has not changed I need to ask: Did the stripe change *with the cartridge* change?And: What color is the stripe? lack-of-toner or lighter, added toner or darker, or shading on the background of the print ... ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the old cassette in use it was printing perfectly. A few days later it printed badly on the first photocopy, which is why I thought the cassette needed changing as in its dying moments it might have been flooding the paper with ink.
When standing at the front with the paper feeding from right to left there was black colour to a depth of about 9cm. This was made up of 2cm black,1cm lighter, about 3cm darker, about 1cm black, 2mm light and 4mm black. At 15cm there was a lighter strip that varied along its length from slightly dark to pale dark with the darker areas being about 40cm apart.
With the new cassette there is a 1cm very dark but not black stripe along the front edge and further in between the 5cm and 7cm depth there is a paler stripe varying in intensity from pale to only a small amount of colour. This becomes darker if one increases the toner darkening.
I have done a number of photocopies but there is no improvement. The text is printed perfectly and other area are white without shadows.
So, to answer your question. There are still stripes but they are different from one cassette to another.
We have been using the photocopier for about 10 years, regularly but not daily.
Regards,
Steven
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The main point (but thank you for the thorough description) I need is, does the striping or defective printing vary from one cartridge to the next ( or back to the previous if it can still be put into the printer and used) ? It sounds as if it does. So:- what cartridges are you using?- are they 'Canon compatible', or re-manufactured, or refilled?- how do you store them, before using them? do you unpackage them long before putting them into the printer, for saving space or similar need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
These are only the second and third cartridges that have been used. The second and third are both Canon E30 Compatible. (1491A003BA). The recent one bought from tonerkingdom.co.uk. The second one had lasted us for several years without problem until the recent printing problem and the third, the new one, was installed as soon as it was delivered to me. I have only bought compatibles because original Canon cassettes are three times the price.
Regards,
Steven
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Return the third one as defective. If it produces that sort of stripes, it is defective. Esp. if it produces that sort of stripes in a different pattern from the second cartridge. 'Compatibles' are problematic. Sometimes they last a while just fine, other times they produce multiple problems.As a last resort, before returning it, remove the third cartridge, and with hands on its two ends, 'slosh' it back and forth - over a hard non-porous surface, in case it leaks toner! - several times not too roughly.Then put it back in and see if the pattern has changed. If so, you have degraded or inferior toner that has clumped up badly. Unless it is straightened out to workable status altogether this way, return it as defective. Esp. if the pattern has changed at all - in that case, the problem *is* in the cartridge, period. If this closes the case, please rate my answer. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
Thank you for all of your continuing support. I have done what you have suggested, but without a change in the printing pattern. I shall a several more attempts in redistributing the toner in the cartridge and if not effective I shall return it to the supplier.
I am happy to rerate you at 5 *.
Regards,
Steven
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If the pattern of faulty printing did not change with a bit of shaking, it won't change with more. At this point, a different cartridge should be tried - but, it may be there are other problems. Thanks for following through with the case in all respects, Steven.