Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

My Brother MFC-J430W cannot detect the new Magenta Ink cartridge.

My Brother MFC-J430W cannot detect the new Magenta Ink cartridge. I have removed all 4 cartridges, and re-installed them. All are detected, bu the Magenta. I have also switched off the printer for 20 minutes and it is still not working. Basically all the ink cartridges are full, so no reason not to work. It looks like this is a common problem with Brother...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Ansie. There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc). What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have once again removed all the ink cartridges and cleaned it and re-inserted them. I have switched off the machine and powered on as instructed. I have put the Cyan cartridge in the Magenta slot. When the Cyan Cartridge is in the correct slot, the printer picks it up, but not when inserted in the Magenta slot, so I think this may be a printer problem, rather ink cartridge. I will go and see a local service provider next week.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying.The cartridges are chipped and will only be detected when in the proper slots.If the magenta slot has magenta ink in it and is not detected, then that does indeed point to a printer issue, so long as you are using genuine brother cartridges. If using generic/refilled inks, then a bad cartridge is more likely. I would not recommend taking it in for service however. This issue is absolutely not worth fixing, or even having it looked at.At this point you would have a faulty printhead, which is considered a wear item and will fail with normal age and use.Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. At this point the printer is at nearly double its designed maximum lifespan and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. I can recommend replacement options if would like. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Ansie?