Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a trusty Canon PIXMA MP970 printer. When loading the

I have a trusty Canon PIXMA MP970 printer. When loading the rear tray with paper a black piece of plastic about 2.5 by 1.5 inches containing a spring about 0.5 inches long was dislodged. It appears to be undamaged but I don't where to fix it back in and there is now an error message stating that there is no paper in the rear tray. I would appreciate your advice, please.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. That piece is no doubt the 'paper elevator' in the rear tray, I think. If it does not use its spring to lift the paper stack a bit, the paper will not be sensed as present.How to fit it back in, is not that easy. It came out, after all, so examine it for jagged or irregular edges... if there are any, it is actually broken and cannot be fit in usefully, in all likelihood.If it appears unbroken, that's another matter. And we'll have to get at the solution step-by-step, not instantly.First: is this, the diagonally upward-and-back protruding tray, the 'rear tray' that you have, pictured here as "(1)": https://support.usa.canon.com/library/attachments/ServiceWareImages/LDImages/SolutionAnswer/MP970/PrepToLoad.gif If so, then is there a corresponding black piece with spring, in the printer, on one side of that rear tray's recess into the printer? If so, then you fit the part that came out, into a similar space to the other side of the rear tray's recess into the printer.(If only it proves to be that easy! probably the piece you have is meant to fit into the center of that rear tray recess, if not.)