Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Canon Pixma 4850 Printer error B200 - help please

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this problem. Unfortunately this is a very bad error that can sometimes require a replacement part. We would need to troubleshoot the issue in order to find out if that is the case or not. How old is the printer? If you remove the ink cartridges from the machine does the error stay as B200 or does it change to something like 6A00?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Freddy
The printer is 5 years old. I removed the ink cartridges, as suggested, and the error stays at B200
Ok open it as if to put the ink back in and unplug the machine.Then clean the carriage itself with cotton swabs and a small amount of warm water until no ink comes off on the swab.Then plug the machine back in and let me know if the error changes at all.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Carried out cleaning of the carriage as suggested but the error remains B200
I was afraid you would say that. Is there a lever or latch you can lift on the carriage itself? It may be an arm that goes all the way around or may be a small arm on the side. Not all Canons have one.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No - there is no way to lift the carriage
Not the carriage just an arm or latch on the carriage. It would allow you to lift the print head inside the carriage if it has one. Not all models have one.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is a lever around the carriage that can be raised but it is not possible to lift the print head it is immovable
On some models you need to lift that lever and then pull the print head itself towards you for it to release fully.
If your model is like that it will have picture of each color on where you pull towards you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Right - I have managed to remove the print head and everything looks clean
Ok with it removed do you still get B200 or a different error number?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I get a message that the 'print head is not installed' - but not an error number
Ok please run the print head under warm water until the water runs clear and no ink comes out of the nozzles.Then let it air dry for 10 minutes. Put it back into the printer and let me know if you get an error.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Print head cleaned, dried and replaced in printer. Still the same error message.Note:
As I have not replaced the ink cartridges I am, of course, receiving the message that the inks are not there, but this is in addition to the B200 message. But I suspect if the cartridges were replaced it would not make any difference to the B200 error message.
Unfortunately that would only make a difference if the B200 message was gone as well. It still being there is a bad sign that unfortunately means the logic board has failed and needs to be replaced. If it was still under warranty this would be covered. Without out unfortunately it is usually cheaper to replace the machine than the board itself. The part would cost about €75 and an hours labor would be about the same. Due to that most shops will not even do this repair as it is normally cheaper to replace the machine. I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news. If you have any questions at all please reply here before rating and let me know I would be happy to answer them. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not Canon, your machine or this site.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your help in this matter. You have done your best. I have resigned myself to having to replace the printer as it would be less hassle than a repair.I appreciate you efforts.