Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

MG5250 showing error code B200 after replacing ink cartridge

MG5250 showing error code B200 after replacing ink cartridge 525
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this problem. If you put the old cartridges back into the machine do you get the same error?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes. Further more the inkjet carriage has moved to the right (printing position), and does not move to centre on lifting the lid. In other words the print heads are no longer accessible. The carriage cannot be moved by hand.At one point the printer appeared to be ready for action but failed again when I tried to print.The printer was working OK moments before I replaced the ink cartridge (because the black cartridge became empty.)
If you turn the machine off and unplug it the carriage still does not move by hand?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes. have managed to access the carriage again.
Please remove all the ink cartridges, then turn the machine on. With the ink cartridges removed is the error still B200?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I'm afraid!
Darn, unfortunately that is not a good sign. On the carriage there may be a lever, latch or arm that can be lifted. On some models it is an arm that goes all the way around and some you pull it forward instead of lifting it. Not all models have this, does yours have anything like this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, a grey plastic U shaped lever which I have been able to rotate until verticle.
That should allow you to remove the print head from the carriage, please remove it and put it on a paper towel. It may be covered in ink. With it removed check the error, does it change? It should hopefully change to something like "print head missing".
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Removed black plastic cartriage holder.Error now reads C000.
That is a slightly better sign. Run the print head you removed under warm water until the water runs clear. Then let it air dry for 10 minutes. While it is drying using either a lint free cloth or cotton swabs and a tiny amount of warm water clean the carriage itself. Then put the print head back into the carriage and unplug the machine. It may not let you turn it off first. Put the ink back in and move the carriage back and forth by hand 3-4 times. Then leave it in the middle. Plug the machine back in and turn it on. Wait until it stops making noise and see if you get the same error. If this did not work reply to me here and let me know before rating. If it did work please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Able to re-assemble OK (!) and no error message but B200 returned when I attempted to print.
Darn I was afraid you would say that. How old is the machine? Did you happen to get an extended warranty with it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The machine is several years old, probably over five. No extended warranty I'm afraid but it has seen very little use sometimes unused for months. No doubt that is not good for it either!Thank you for your help, I am sure you did everything possible. It probably needs repairs costing more than the machine! I can buy a new one OK for my humble needs for £50.I shall report that I am well satisfied with your response
If you do have a warranty this would normally be covered. If not unfortunately this can be expensive as the logic board would need to be replaced. B200 means there is an issue with either the print head or the logic board. The steps I had you do was to rule out the print head. Due to this some people do decide to replace the machine instead. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help it is greatly appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day other than the unfortunate news of course wish I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience