Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Canon MG 5350 printer. I have occasionally ren ewed

I have a Canon MG 5350 printer.
I have occasionally ren ewed the ink with Tonik refills - which has gone fine.
Recently, my printer refused the Tonik Magenta replacement.
So I ordered a Canon Pixma Magenta 521. And when I tried to print, the yellow triangle light came on again with the following message:
'Appropriate ink tank is not installed. Install the appropriate ink tank'.
Where do I go from here - having just installed a Canon ink?
Thanks,
John
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this problem. Unfortunately fixing this issue can require replacing a part. In order to find out we would need to troubleshoot. Does the ink refill cartridge give the same error? Does the error have a number like 6A00 or B200 for example?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error numbers. The proper Canon refill isn't working - why is that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where have you gone?! What's happened to my £20. I dont want a monthly plan I just want a simple clear answer to my question about the Canon ink. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where have you gone, Freddy. My money has been taken and you haves vanished.
Please help me
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay in response. I work full time at the same time. A refill is not going to work. It would have to be a non refilled Canon. Did you try that yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank God you are still there! What do you mean by a 'non refilled Canon'. What I have put it is an original Canon Pixma cartridge - and its that that it is refusing.
Also, please help me to cancel my membership after this is sorted. ThanksJohn
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
From what I can see you do not have a subscription so this should only be a one time fee. You said it was a proper Canon refill. Did you mean a Canon refilled cartridge or a brand new cartridge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for getting back. Yes, a brand new Canon Pixma cartridge - not a refill of any sort
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. If you remove the ink cartridges completely do you get any errors? If you do what is the error number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only a problem with the Magenta cartridge. If I remove it the only message saying the Magenta ink tank cannot be recognised. No mention of any error number
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Please use a cotton swab and a tiny amount of warm water. Then clean the inside of the machine where the ink cartridges sits until no ink comes off on the cotton swab. Once done put the cartridge back in and let me know if you get the same error or not. If the error changes please give me the new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that, cleaned in and around where the Magenta cartridge fits.
Then the same message comes up: 'Appropriate ink tank is not installed . Install appropriate ink tank '
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Please remove all the ink cartridges. Then look at the carriage, do you see a latch, lever or arm you can lift? Sometimes it is an arm you pull forward. Some machines do not have this at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, there is a grey plastic lever that lifts up and down and wants to go down. Seems to be functioning fine
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Remove all the cartridges, lift that lever and then you should be able to remove what is called the print head from the machine. Please remove that. I suggest having a paper towel or something similar to put it on as it may be covered in ink. Let me know when you have it out of the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its out of the machine!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok please run that under warm water until the water runs clear. Then please let it air dry for 10 minutes. Put t back in the machine and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that. Put it back in, put cartridges back in and again same message about Magenta comes up about being an inappropriate ink tank.
I dearly hope we can resolve this. But I'm afraid I have to work 8-930 so wont be able to respond during that time.
Do you have any other ideas? Thanks
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately after all that if the same thing happens it normally means the print head needs to be replaced. If it is under a year old or you had an extended warranty this would normally be covered. Otherwise it can sometimes be cheaper to replace the machine itself. Sometimes you can find a cheap replacement print head on sites like eBay. The print head is the part of the machine you just removed to clean. I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news. If you have any questions about this at all please reply before rating and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site, Canon or your machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Do I still have to pay the £20 even though things aren't resolved. And if so, is it categorically a one-off payment, or will they be trying to get more money out of me ? Forgive me for seeming paranoid!
I'll certainly give you a good review.
John
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
This should be a one time payment only. I sent a report in to make sure of that for you. I am only paid if you pay and leave a positive rating. Otherwise I am not paid anything at all for my time. I can continue to help if you would like but as I mentioned you will need a part. We can resolve this but not without a part. If you have any questions about this at all please reply before rating and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site, Canon or your machine.