Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a canon pixma pro 100 printer which has emptied the

I have a canon pixma pro 100 printer which has emptied the black ink cartridge on to the absorbent pad below the print head. After cleaning the pad, I installed a new (Canon original) black cartridge and the same thing happened again. I've tried the usual head cleaning procedure to no avail .
I suspect the printer head is gummed up/faulty. can it be repaired/cleaned??
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. How long did the emptying of the black cartridge onto the absorber pad take?What was the printer doing, or having done with it, when that was happening? If the black cartridge emptied quickly, and if the printer was having head cleanings done, then you have a problem in the inking system... and the problem might involve the printhead. It depends upon where the problem began, I think it is safe to say. If the problem started with the black ink not printing, then continued with head cleanings, that's one thing. IF the problem started another way, it means something else. Let me know the history of the problem in more detail, and I will be able to give an opinion on it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Russell
I guess it took a couple of minutes but I can't actually be sure when it started.
I was trying to print a document.
Sorry I can't be too specific!!! I simply noticed that there was a black smudge on the document I was trying to print and then realised ink was appearing on the track below the printer head and, ultimately, was soaking into the absorbent foem pad below the track. The pad become absolutely soaked with black ink across the full width.
I then cleaned the pad - as best I could using tisuues etc and replaced the black cartridge for a new, canon original one and attempted to print again. Once again, the ink began to soak on to the pad and I turned off the printer and removed the second cartridge.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did try the normal head cleaning processes via the Canon 'software' but to no avail - still leaked.
Something else is wrong, and it isn't the printhead. (Esp. not if the print was actually coming out onto the paper.)Continuous ink exudation by cartridges is very unusual.I can't swear it's one thing or another at this point. I'd have to know more about this quite unusual situation. One thing is sure: something will need repair (or replacement) in the printer. How old is the printer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Russell - sorry for the tardy response, I was away from home last night.
The printer is about 2 years old and has had relatively little use. I suspect the root cause of the problem might be the fact that it has had very little use - it was probably 2 months since I had used it before this recent attempt and the leaking black cartridge - might that be an issue?
I have always used Canon original cartridges
Bill
Leaving an inkjet printer turned Off for long periods (a week to 10 days or longer) is bad for the inking system for sure.At 2 years old the printer is out of warranty, so warranty repair isn't an option.Was the printer, during the leaking, also capable of leaving ink on the paper? in that sense, was it printing anything?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've just put the black cartridge back into the head and tried printing again (the foam strip was clean at the start). In fact, apart from a few slight black stripes at the top of the paper, the print came out fine - all colours, including black text OK.. However, it is noticeable that there is a distinct fine black line on the foam strip at each end of the head's traverse (i.e more or less the width of the paper). I recollect that was the case previously. Could it be that those fine lines had gradually become larger as I tried to print, resulting, ultimately, in virtually the whole of the foam strip became soaked with black ink. At the moment, I've just left it to stand to see if any further ink leakage occurs whilst the printer is in 'standbye' and there doesn't appear to have been any further leakage.
I'll try further prints to see if the deposit worsens.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've just completed an A4 photo print on normal 'copier' paper, (rather than waste photo quality paper), which turned out OK apart from a few small black smudges (apparently where slight folds in the paper have caused it to be slightly raised - and, probably, allowing the head to touch it??). All the heads, including black have obviously fired ok because the print contains all the correct colours. However, there are now two additional lines, which are wider and 'heavier' than the original two and approximately 1cm inside them. Also, a feint black line has appeared on the foam across the full width of the printer's travel.
I'm pretty sure that if I continue printing, the original problem will reappear and the printer head, the foam strip and the metalwork carrying the foam strip will become saturated and the black cartridge will empty.
Normally I would wonder, in a case like this (that you have observed and explained quite well), whether the waste ink was being wiped off the cartridge properly.But, for the cartridge to empty out abnormally fast, is another problem entirely. The circuitry may be asking the ink jets to fire with abnormal frequency or abundance, making for a rapid wasting, leakage, and running out of the cartridge ink. If so, this is a problem deeper into the printer than the printhead or inking system, or wiper etc. It may be more expensive to repair than it would be to recycle the printer and replace it with a new one.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Russell. thank you for your further comments.
I think from the shear volume of ink being deposited (the pad and the adjacent frame became saturated), that it is unlikely to be a 'normal' cleaning cycle unless, as you suggest, the black head is being asked to fire excessively. Also, the fact that exactly the same problem recurred after cleaning the foam pad and inserting a brand new cartridge does suggest to me that it is a fault somewhere in the electronics/mechanics..
Obviously, I am keen to avoid the cost of a new printer if possible - it seems such a pity that it should be abandoned if there is a circuit board or something that could be replaced at reasonable cost. Are you able to
recommend a repairer who might be able to advise the cost of repair?
One further issue is avoiding a recurrence with a new or repaired printer. Although I am an enthusiastic photographer, there are times when the printer lies unused for several weeks. Is there anything I can do to avoid problems similar? I guess running off a couple of prints would be sensible but it is rather wasteful due to the large amounts of ink which are apparently, dumped every time the printer starts up. Maybe there is an alternative printer, that has the facility to avoid the problem 'built in'.
The way to avoid stressing the ink system is simple. If you don't use the printer for several weeks at a time, then switch it On every Friday, and leave it On.On Monday morning, switch it Off.During that interval, the ink system will complete one or two (or perhaps three) routine long-term maintenance cycles, wasting just a little ink, which keeps dried ink from clogging the works. In sum, have the printer On but unused once a week, for at least a day, perhaps two. A little ink used, but the ink system kept healthy. Ink *will* get used up, period, one way or another. This is the best way to manage it. Thanks, ***** ***** luck. (Please rate my work and my answers.)
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable