VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

I have a Canon ip4950 printer that has given good service -

I have a Canon ip4950 printer that has given good service - like my previous Canon printers. However, I have now lost all colour printing and nothing I do will get the colours back. Black is OK. I have changed cartridges and the print head and re-installed the driver - still no colour. No M, C or Y whatever I do. How can I check for a printer fault? The only warning I get on the printer is the usual one when any of the cartridges run low or empty - no other flashing codes.
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sot to be clear only Black is Printing and the rest are not printing at all, correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. Magenta went out first, followed by cyan and yellow together. There have been no error messages other than the usual cartridge warnings - nearly empty and empty.
Hello, glad you are here. Do you know how to remove the Print Head for your Printer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. I have changed the print head already for a new branded Canon one. No change. (And I have changed the cartridges.)
The Cart's correct, not the Print Head?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, I don't understand the question. Everything is correct - except that it won't work!
Oh sorry my fault. The Print Head is where the Cart's all sit. Which is different from the cart's themselves.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just to re-iterate, the print head and cartridges are new, I have re-installed the driver, but there is no colour printing - and there are no error messages.
OK, got it Sir or Madam. Give me a few moments please...
Are you using Windows or OS X MAC?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Win 7 - and the name is David.
OK, not a problem Sir... 1. Make sure that the printer is on. 2. Press the Open button to open the Paper Output Tray and extend the Output Tray Extension. 3. Open the printer properties dialog box. 4. Start Print Head Deep Cleaning. (1) Click the Maintenance tab. (2) Click Deep Cleaning. (3) Select the ink group to be deeply cleaned.When cleaning the nozzles of black ink tanks: Select Black to clean the nozzles of PGI-5BK, Color to clean the nozzles of CLI-8BK. (4) Click Execute. (5) Confirm the displayed message and click OK.Print Head Deep Cleaning starts when the POWER lamp starts flashing green.Do not perform any other operations until Print Head Deep Cleaning finishes. This takes about 90 seconds.5. Let me know if this works Sir....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have received 5 copies of your response! I have tried deep cleaning multiple times. It has not improved the situation at all. It does not have any effect at all.
OK. Since this is the case Sir you need to return the Print Head to where it came from. Please Note: Placing a new Print Head in your Printer is excellent. But when it does not work right away there is a problem with it. Was it purchased from online or local to you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have replaced the print head twice already. Both brand new Canon print heads. Neither of them work.
OK. You can remove the Printhead and use a syringe to fill each of the respective nozzle with the correct colour. You thoughts?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've tried all those tricks and I still can't get any colour printing.
How old is your Printer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
June 2012.
OK. What is the closest Major City nearest you in the UK?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I live in Birmingham (England).
OK, the home of British Steel!!!!!
http://www.itecprinterrepair.co.uk/ They can be reached @ 0121(###) ###-####I would reach out to these folks they have a 95% success rate on the first go when Printers are brought in for service.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They deal with laser printers and copiers and the cost of the repair would be more than the cost of a replacement printer. I don't think we are making much progress!
They also deal with your type of Printer too...
Since you have replaced 2 new Print Heads and Primed them Manually. The issue is not there. Your Printer must be examined by a hands on Tech or Engineer. I am in San Antonio, TX and you are in the UK. It would be easier for them to examine it then for me to fly there. Unless you do not mind footing the bill for the Travel?? :-)
As to Progress, we have determined that it is not the Print Head Per se, It may be that the Voltage coming across the Print Head is too low or not there at all. There may also be a Logic Board issue. But the Printer must be examined to see where the issue is.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK. I think we have got to where I had already reached. It's certain that the up front cost of inspecting the printer would be almost as much as the cost of a new printer. I think we have reached a dead end, haven't we?
Nope. They inspect free of charge and then let you know the cost of repair... These Gents are recommended highly for their Customer Service and they have worked on many of my UK Clients Printers....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK. I might try them and then I will get back to you.
Not a problem. I will await your return...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've just checked the ITEC website FAQ's - just in case they help. They say explicitly that they don't repair A4 Canon Pixma printers. Not much good there it would seem.
OK, if that is the case then these are the correct folks for you: Tel: 0800-526-716 Fax: 08709-088-098Email:***@******.*** .Printer Repair & Plotter RepairsManaged Print Services4hr responseAll repairs on-siteWe carry all partsEngineers in your areaFixed labour charge from only £55No call out charge Your thought???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
JA I know you are trying your very best to help me. The problem with these people is that their starting cost for servicing a colour printer is £75 + VAT (20%). As I said above, I can get a new Canon colour printer for £50 all in. Unless something magic happens very soon the conclusion seems obvious.
Understood...
Some Ideas: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANON-PIXMA-ip4950-PRINTER-/222091874027 New with dent: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-PIXMA-iP4950-Digital-Photo-Inkjet-Printer-/182095602324 Both in the UK near you...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
JA One of these is sold for scrap parts and the other is £95 (scratched). That's £45 more than a new one!
I think we have reached the point of no return, haven't we?
The other is 10 PBS and scratch/dented during shipping. What is wrong with that one and it has a two year Warranty?
That is 65 PBS less then a repair. Your thoughts??
Or is it British Pound Sterling. I think that is correct....
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience: I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.