Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

My printer is in "pause" mode. How do I get it working again?

My printer is in "pause" mode. How do I get it working again? HP Photosmart 7450
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, still paused.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, are you on a windows or Mac computer and which version?Also how is the printer connected to your computer? Via USB cable or wireless?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7; USB connection. There is a symbol of what looks like an ink cartridge on the printer screen. Thinking that may be the trouble I replaced the cartridges 57 and 58 to no avail. I should perhaps have told you this at the start.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats ok, Can you connect it to a different USB port on the computer.Then wait 5 minutes as it detects it, then try to print please.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change I'm afraid.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you disconnect the printer from the computerclick start, devices and printers.Then right click your printer and select RemoveRestart the computer.Connect the printer, go to start, Devices and Printers, Add printerAdd it again and then try to printLet me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I'm not getting "devices and printers" up when I click "Start". I have disconnected the USB

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
click start and type in control /name Microsoft.DevicesAndPrintersAnd press enter and it will then open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, this "did not match any items"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you mist typed it.Type it exactly as I have and press enter and it will open.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
else press the windows key + R and type it in there please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bringing nothing at all up, sorry

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
very strange..So you have no way to see your printers installed?If you go to control panel you see devices and printers or printers there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"Printers" is there in the control panel

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I think you have another version of windows.But click on printers, then do my instructions please right click your printer and select RemoveRestart the computer.Connect the printer, go to start, Devices and Printers, Add printerAdd it again and then try to printLet me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not getting a "Remove" to select.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
what do you see when you right click it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Open

Run as administrator

Set as default printer

Printing preferences

Resume printing

Cancel all documents

Sharing

Use printer offline

Refresh

Create shortcut

Delete

Rename

Properties

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
choose Delete please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right, I have clicked on delete and followed all your instructions, removed my printer, re booted the computer, installed printer again and still no joy. I've had enough now. Thank you for your help. I'll just go and buy another printer. If you have any further ideas I'll talk to you again. I'm shutting down now. Many thanks for trying.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and sorry about the delayed response It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, this now confirms it I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If the warranty has expired, I advise against repairing it, it is cheaper in the long run to purchase a replacement. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you