Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

We are trying to remove the foam ink absorber pad from our

we are trying to remove the foam ink absorber pad from our canon printer MG6350 but cannot find a way to remove it how do we get it out?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. That pad is not meant to be removed, it sits below where the head is parked and is seated in place above the absorber tank.Are you trying to move it because it has come loose and is causing an obstruction? Are you getting an error message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are getting n error message saying the ink absorber pad is nearly full. You surely aren't expected to ditch the printer for the sake of these small foam pads?!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In which case can the absorber tank be removed? - your response and instructions would be appreciated, but it will be half an hour before i return to this laptop.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you most certainly are. There is much more to it than just a single pad. Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etcWhile it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 4 year old model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is not good news. If we take your advice, what would you recommend on today's market? - having had HP, Epson and Canon in the past we have found the canon print quality better, especially if printing photos. I run my own small, business from home, as Secretary to a Trade Association - I print probably 200 -300 sheets per week, but a coupe of times a year I print 250 copies of a 6 page booklet - so it will then print 750 sheets for a couple of weeks. We also print on photo paper as well as 80 - 200g papers. I need to be able to copy and scan as well as print but do need fax capability.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1nxc4II or http://amzn.to/1nxc8Z5Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1nxcejvAlternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1nxcpv2while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1nxcnn0