Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Canon Pixma MG5250 printer and I am having a problem

I have a Canon Pixma MG5250 printer and I am having a problem with printing through the PGBK Black Ink Cartridge. This is the larger cartridge of the two blacks and the one for printing text. All the other cartridges work fine.
I have taken the usual steps to clean the nozzles including deep cleaning. I have even removed the Print Head and cleaned but still to no avail.
Could you please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. That problem can sometimes be owing to a corrupted printer driver, a minor item of software and configuration on your computer. (Whatever type of computer you have, Windows PC or Apple computer, and whatever version of Windows, or MAC OS X, it has on it.) However, it could also be a problem with the ink system in the printer, and only that. It is more likely to be an inking system problem, ifA. the printer has sat idle for some time, esp. if it has been turned Off for over a week at a time recently,orB. the cartridge that gives black ink has been changed, and you print mostly text files, documents. It doesn't look as if your model of printer has photocopying capability, it seems to be a photo printer. If it did have a photocopying capability, the fastest surest way of telling an inking system problem from a software or driver problem is, to do a one-page photocopy of an original sheet that has both black and colors on it, and see how much comes out. Can you print a configuration page, or status page, from the printer? if so, does ink come out on the paper?That would be best, ***** ***** sure of what the problem is, at this point. If it's a driver problem, then please tell me what version of Windows (or MAC OS X) is on your printer, and also whether your printer is connected directly to the computer with a USB cable, or is on a wired network or wireless connection hookup. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First off the MG5250 does have a photocopying capability. If I photocopy a page of text and select Black it performs as if it is printing but the page is blank. If I select Colour it prints the text on the page but not as black as it would if the Black worked.
I have the printer connected directly to the computer not wireless. I have had the computer for about four years and it has worked perfectly. I have carried out all the necessary actions via the computer and also the printer itself to clean the nozzles including deep cleaning. I have also had the Print Head out of the computer, twice, to clean with warm water. Both times the water was quite dirty but after drying the Head it still refuses to print with the Large Black Cartridge (PGBK). the other cartridges all work fine.
Do I need to change the Print Head?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add I am on Windows 10
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, your black cartridge or its printhead are not working. The software is probably not the problem, since the photocopying facility cannot print black either, clearly. The printhead might need changing. (Have you been turning the printer Off for long periods of time, or printing only in full color without use of black ink? that can lead to this sort of problem. Also if you use non-Canon-OEM-original ink, such as refills or 'Canon-compatible' cartridges, that might lead to this sort of problem, since the ink in such cases is not precisely formulated to Canon's specific standards for this printer model.) I would recommend doing this specific cleaning procedure... which might help and often does help with cases like this: In outline:1. Clean the (black) printhead.2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.3. Clean the printhead a second time.4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.5. Clean the printhead a third time. Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead. After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.) So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have carried out the triple cleaning and, unfortunately, it still will not print through the Black Cartridge (PGBK).
I take your point about the cost of a new Print Head but this machine is still selling for £399 on Amazon, so the cost is relative. I print card and the rear feed is ideal for the job. The standard of photos etc is also high. I will have a quick look round to see if there is any other printer that gives roughly the same performance then will decide whether to go for a new Print Head.
Thanks for making my mind up.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If I was of any help to this unfortunate situation, good.You might want to try replacing the PGBK cartridge, if this is the first cartridge you have put into its slot since the problem occurred. But if the problem occurred before this cartridge change, then the chances of still another cartridge helping are very small. Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com.Please feel welcome to return at any time, and as needed, to ask another question, in any one of our numerous categories.