Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I have an HP Deskjet 2050 printer which refuses to print since

I have an HP Deskjet 2050 printer which refuses to print since I upgraded my computer to Windows 10. Is there any way I can adapt it to do so, or will I have to get another printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you tell me please, is the printer connected to the computer via wireless or USB?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
USB
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you click on my link below pleasehttp://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-2050-all-in-one-printer-series-j510/4027463/driversAnd download the windows 10 driver for the printer.Run the installation and once done, try to print to the printer and tell me if it now works please.I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.Else let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already downloaded the latest drivers from the HP website and the printer still will not print. I have also downloaded the HP support assistant and used that to find the best drivers and downloaded them, again the printer still will not print. I then looked in the appropriate forum on the HP website and found that I am not alone in being unable to get the HP Deskjet 2050 to work after upgrading to windows 10, the consensus seems to be that the driver will not work with every computer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What exact happens when you try to now print?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dialogue screen from the printer comes up, I click on print ,the screen vanishes and then nothing happens. the print job appears in the print queue but I am unable to get it to print.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you press the windows key and type indevices and click on devices and printers.Right click on the printer, select printer properties, then print test page.Does it print out the test page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no response when I right click on the printer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you left click it, does it highlight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no response at all.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you do the following pleasePress the windows key + XClick on command prompt (admin)A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Then tell me if you can click it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran scannow and chkdsk . no errors reported.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but can you select the printer now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No response to right click
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you left click it now, does it select?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, click it and then click remove device at the top and tell me when it has been removcd please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o.k.printer removed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, disconnect the printer, restart the computer and install it again via the windows 10 driverLet me know the results please.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Complete success , the printer works even though the driver said it had failed as the operating system was wrong,