Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

My Canon MG5450 printer when set to normal font prints a document

My Canon MG5450 printer when set to normal font prints a document in a random combination of normal, bold and italic font.
Jan Karmali
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10 64-bit
I would suggest uninstalling your printer software and then downloading and installing new printer drivers from the anon website. The only way to get a clean installation that is problem free is to first completely remove all traces of the software that may be causing the problem. I cannot guarantee that this will eliminate the erratic behavior, but it is necessary to first eliminate software as the source of the problem, before we can determine if there is a remaining hardware problem. I can give you detailed directions on how to do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joel,
I've done as you suggested - uninstalled the printer software and installed the latest drivers from Canon - but the problem remains. Some more information: the problem occurs with Word (Office 2007), Notepad, Excel and Works word processor but not if I print a web page. Go figure!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. I have also run the repair programmes for the printer and computer, but no luck.
Did you go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program to uninstall everything that has Canon MG5450 in the name, before reinstalling from the Canon website? It works when printing a web page, because the webpage is coded in HTML. It is a different printing protocol. At the end of the driver installation, the software should have asked you to print a test page. It is important to know if this printed correctly. You can go back and open the print queue and print a test page from there. Please let me know what happens. We may have to repeat these procedures interactively, so that I know that they are being done exactly the way that I intend for them to be done. Also, I am not sure what repair programs to which you are referring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To uninstall the printer programme I went to Settings > Systems > Apps & Features, highlighted the MG5450 programmes and clicked Uninstall, however, I did not uninstall Canon On-screen Manual. I printed a test page and it was perfect. As regards ***** ***** programmes, I tried several things: Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Printer - no problems found; Microsoft Office Diagnostics - no issues; Control Panel > Programmes & Features > Microsoft Office > Change > Repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also re-set the printer to the original factory settings, to no avail!
Going to Settings > Systems> Apps & Features to uninstall the MG5450 drivers was not what I had in mind. The way that I do it is by going to Control Panel > Programs & Features to highlight the MG5450 drivers and selecting Uninstall. Please locate the software in Control Panel > Programs & Features and uninstall it again with Settings > Systems > Programs & Features. Then check for the program in the Control Panel and see if it got uninstalled there. If not, you will need to uninstall it there too. This is the only way to guarantee a clean installation. Please let me know what happens. I appreciate your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done exactly as you asked, uninstalling all MG5450 programmes via Control Panel and re-installed new Canon printer drivers. Unfortunately, the problem remains.
I wanted to know if the uninstallation worked completely the way that you did it from Settings, or if it left software that had to be uninstalled afterward from the Control Panel, so that I will know for future reference if they are equivalent. Also, I want to make sure that you are using the correct drivers. Here is the link to the Canon website that I would use:http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg5450.aspx?type=drivers&language=&os=WINDOWS 10 (64-bit)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uninstallation from both Settings and Control Panel worked completely. The link to the Canon website took me to exactly the drivers I installed.
Thank you for that feedback. Can you please select your print server icon in Control Panel and go to the Printer Properties menu and select Print Test Page. Does the test page print correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's a mixture of mainly normal font but also several lines of bold and and one of italic.
I would say that your printer has a hardware problem and needs to be replaced. It is definitely not a software problem. If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Joel, I was coming to the same conclusion! I have given you a positive rating.
You are welcome. Thank you for the Good service rating, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!