Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Canon Printer MG5450 'Printer error has occurred contact the

Canon Printer MG5450
'Printer error has occurred contact the service centre'
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First, try turning Off the printer. Unplug it from the power.

Then, leave it to cool off, unplugged, for at least 1 hour (or up to several days, but not much longer than that.)

Then try it again.

How old is the printer? it may have merely had a temporary malfunction, or 'glitch'... this is more likely if it is between brand new and about 2 or so years old, measured from its date of original purchase.

It is also more likely if you do not have the printer plugged into a surge protector or other power-filtering device. A surge protector, for every electronic device of any value to you, is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

And it is likely that if you have been using refills or refill kits, or 'compatible' cartridges, that they have troubled the printer.

On the other hand, if it is quite old, the printer may be dirty inside and a sensor fouled up... which may be repairable by you, but not by blowing air into the printer to blow away the dust. Cleaning dust out of a printer must be done almost any other way than blowing the dust about... if it looks dirty inside at all, let me know, and I will instruct you further.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Printer is only a couple of years old but it has had heavy use -A few days ago I did get an error message saying ink absorber full but when I pressed OK it went away. I disconnect for a while but I don't think it is going to make a difference
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Well, try it.

The ink absorber full message is admittedly severe enough, in the long run.

It means some little absorbent pads, that soak up the waste ink that is occasionally scraped or 'squeegeed' off the printhead, are sensed as likely to be completely full of ink and incapable of absorbing more.

If those pads are not replaced, then eventually - sooner or later - they will overflow. Waste ink will get on whatever's under the printer! or, much sooner, the ink system will back up with waste ink, like a bad case of stopped-up plumbing, and that will disable the printer. I hope that has not already happened.

The pads can be replaced, of course. Let me know if you want to try to do so yourself... or if you would rather have it done for you by Canon printer servicing local to you (probably for a much higher price than you would think, I must warn you.)

(Thank you for the favorable rating, by the way.)