nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Technician
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have an ip4700 which is giving an error message - ink is

i have an ip4700 which is giving an error message - ink is full. This happened after my computer crashed and I had to get the soft ware from the internet. It worked for about a week and then just stopped working. Power is on and I tried to print out a test page, and it reply error
Category: Printers
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 7 months ago.

Hi Francis. Welcome to justanswer.

Try resetting the waste ink absorber.

1. Make sure the printer is turned off.
  2. Press and hold the Resume button (triangle inside a circle).
  3. Whilst it is held down, hold down the Power button. The green led light should come on.
  4. Keep the Power button held down. Release the Resume button and then press it twice. The light should go amber, then green again.
  5. Release the Power button.
  6. Press the Resume button four times and then press the Power button straight after to confirm the selected action (Reset Counter Absorber).
  7. Turn off the printer and then turn it on again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry Nathan the printer cannot be turned off except by pulling the plug at the mains. How do I turn off the printer without doing that?Many thanks
Francis

Are you getting any error message on the lcd?

nathan_mills, Technician
Experience: Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.

CLICK HERE and press I Agree. Run the file which gets downloaded to start the secure remote assistance.

Are you facing any problem ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
printer says clear error

What happens when you turn off and then turn on the printer. To turn off, press the power button and then wait for a minute until the green light goes off.

Keep updating me with the status of the issue so that I can help you better.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I press the off button, the green light flickers and then goes off. When I press on the green light flickers for a few seconds and then it steadies to a continuoue green

And what do you see on the LCD screen? The Ink Absorber Full error is displayed or not?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no LCD screen on this printer. Error message gets sent on computer screen and it does not say there is a problem with the ink

So what error are you exactly getting? Can you count the number of green light flashes if there are any?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when switching on from off there are 10 green flashes. Now when I switch off there are no green flashes

Turn it on. Give a print command. If it does not print and you see 10 flashes,then press the RESUME/CANCEL button. Does the paper ejects?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tried printing - document loaded but not printing at all and green light not even flashing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is as though printer is ignoring the document despite the computer screen sending message to printer

Can you check the status on Canon IJ Status monitor on your computer. Cancel all the prints in the queue if there are any.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
checked the status - there are no print job in the que despite having just requested one

And the green light still blinking ten times?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have just sent a new print request and this one is on the what is printing
The green light is not blinking - it is stable

What about the orange LED? If it is not printing, press Resume/cancel.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried that does not work

Is the orange led blinking? If yes, then how many times?

Most probably the ink absorber has become full. When the ink absorber becomes full, no further printing can be performed unless the applicable ink absorber is replaced.

Is your printer still under warranty?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
orange light is not blinking unless I press the reset button while I hold down the power button deliberately
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now the document for printing in the queue had automatically deleted itself

Go to Canon IJ Printer driver, Under Maintenance Tab, you will see power off the printer. Select it. Then turn it ON and check if you get any of the prints that you previously commanded.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No but the problem is I have loads of ink cartridges and if I am to buy a new printer it has to be compatible with the cartridges I have and the trouble is Canon has different cartridges for different series. A new iP4700 cost more than £120 so not sure if I should get another one like this so looks as though I have to get it fixed. Do you think the problem is mechanical or software?
The mechanical bits seems to be working well each time it gets switched on and off!

The problem is with the ink absorber. This printer has an ink absorber that takes in ink during the printing and print head cleaning processes. The cleaning process is necessary in order to keep the print head nozzles from becoming clogged. Over the life of the printer, the amount of ink that the ink absorber has absorbed is calculated by the printer. Eventually, after substantial use, the printer will enter an error condition when the ink absorber is nearly full and stops printing. Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure. Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset. So if the printer is under warranty, it is advisable otherwise buying a new one would be the best option. You can buy other canon printers as most of the canon printers have same cartridges.

Or you can check out some good budget printers available. CLICK HERE TO COMPARE

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am googling Canon Pixma inkjet printers but it looks the cartridges all have different serial numbers. I am very grateful for your advice. This ip4700 is a superb quality colour printer, and I think I better get another one like that. The market price now is alot cheaper than when I bought this years ago. This one is 8 years old so I should not complain. I now understand the problem of the ink absorber. Is this the problem with inkjet printers usually?

Yes most of the printers have this ink absorber. If you want to buy the printer which uses the same ink then here is the list:

(Try to buy the latest of them all)

PIXMA MX860 Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MP620 Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MP990 Wireless
-- PIXMA MP640 Wireless
-- PIXMA MP980 Wireless
-- PIXMA MP990 Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MP640R Wireless
-- PIXMA MP620 Wireless
-- PIXMA MP640 Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MP560 Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA iP4700
-- PIXMA MX870 Wireless
-- PIXMA MX870 Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MP620B Blue Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MP620B Blue Wireless
-- MP560 House Party Bundle
-- MP560 House Party Bundle
-- PIXMA MP980 Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MX860 Wireless
-- PIXMA MX860 + FREE High Resolution Paper
-- PIXMA iP3600 Refurbished
-- PIXMA iP4600
-- PIXMA MP560 Wireless with PP201
-- PIXMA iP3600
-- MP980 Bundle for Intermediate Scrapbookers
-- PIXMA MP640R Wireless Refurbished
-- PIXMA MP560 Wireless

Francis, is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dear Nathan,
Thank you so much for your patience and technical expertise. You have been excellent and very professional. Just answer is very fortunate to have you working with them. UK time is now 2015 so I hope you have a wonderful evening and if you are UK based a good Bank Holiday tomorrow. I think I do not have other computer and electronic related problems at the moment but if I do in future I would certainly ask for your help. Best wishes Francis

Thank you so much Francis. I am happy that I was able to help. You too have a lovely evening. Cheers!

Thanks again Francis for the Bonus. Your kind gesture is highly appreciated.

Regards Nathan.