WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician
21171802

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 paper feed light permanently on.

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 paper feed light permanently on. Switched off then tried again with red light off and paper sent through again without printing and red light comes on again. Ink levels ok.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Wes, and I'll be assisting you today.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes the rollers become dirty and cause the paper to slip. This can cause the paper not to pick up or even cause a paper jam because the sensors do not see the paper pass in a certain amount of time.

To fix the problem, unplug the printer power cable. Open the covers and remove any cartridges and look for loose paper. Use tweezers to pull the paper out or the eraser end of a pencil to move the rollers and get to the paper. Then use a damp paper towel with water or Windex and clean the rollers. Start where the paper touches the printer and look for white, gray, and black rollers. Use your fingers to move the rollers as much as you can to clean them. Open the printer and clean the other rollers you can find as well.

Open each cover front, top, and back of the printer and look for pieces of paper in the rollers. Move the rollers with your fingers to clean and move any loose paper out as well.

Then plug the printer power back in try to print.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no pieces of paper jammed. The printer picks up the paper for a test print but shoots it straight through.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

OK. I thought there was a paper feed issue such as a jam.

There seems to be an issue with the print head. Run the clean print head maintenance tool to see if it will clean the print head and print a test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alas, although the print head maintenance was run, the machine still shot the subsequent test print through without printing.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Then the print head is malfunctioned. Usually due to being clogged beyond repair from the usual clean print head tool.

It will require a replacement print head. Check first to see if you printer is under warranty that way it can re replaced. They cost about $50 and sometimes better to purchase a new printer for close to that price. If you would like to purchase the replacement print head you can get one here:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?type=highlights&noteoid=153590

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional help and please rate my answer below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Wes! I am being plagued this week! I have borrowed an Epson stylus Photo R1800 which I have connected to my MacBook. I ran the print head maintenance tool and ran a test sheet with minor blips so hit the button to clean print head again and test sheet was better. Then the ink button flashed red so I replaced the necessary cartridge, but now the paper feed button is flashing red as well. I don't think I had given any further instructions to the machine, but can't be sure. Can you advise, please?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not the problem, I'm afraid.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Sounds as there is a hardware issue. It will need some servicing, best if you can check if it is under warranty. if it is, you can get a replacement printer.

Otherwise, it may be more cost effective to purchase a new printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time, Wes!