Shefin
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I keep getting the Code 1410 warning that the cyan ink tank

Customer Question

I keep getting the Code 1410 warning that the cyan ink tank cannot be recognised. This is despite replacing with a new Canon refill
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please make sure that you are using new and genuine Canon cartridges. Pleas do not use refilled cartridges. it will damage the printhead.

Please try the following and let me know the response.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have done all the above and I still get the Support Code 1410 "the following ink tank cannot be recognised" and it shows the C tank, as before
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
19/06/2016 06:10
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

The issue might be with the printhead and it is not recognizing the cartrdige. Can you try removing the printhead and try cleaning it?

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HiCustomerHow do I remove the Printhead? The only moveable thing seems to be the cartridge holder that slides in from the side. I cannot see any way to unclip the top cover that slides up when the front flap drops down
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Watch the video below and check if you are able to do that. If you see it difficult, please do not do that and try cleaning the cartridges once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb2g5-4uCu8

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HICustomerI HAVE WATCHED THE VIDEOS, REMOVED THE PRINT HEAD AND CLEANED IT THOROUGHLY. I AM NOW STRUGGLING TO RELOCATE IT IN THE PRINTER. IT WILL GO SO FAR BUT WILL NOT 'CLICK' INTO PLACE, AND I AM CONCERNED THAT I MIGHT DAMAGE IT. DO I HAVE TO ROTATE THE PRINTHEAD ONE WAY OR ANOTHER BEFORE IT SECURELY LOCATES BACK IN ITS SEATING, BEFORE I THEN RELOAD THE CARTRIDGES?
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Watch the video below and try inserting the printhead properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFgBqKI1fc

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HiCustomerI have done all of this, removed the printhead, cleaned it, replaced it correctly and replaced the cyan ink reservoir.
I still get the same CODE 1410 message that the ink tank cannot be recognised.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

If the issue still persists, the issue is with the printhead (if the cartridge is new) and you may have to replace the printhead in order to get the issue resolved. However, replacing the printhead is costly and not worthy, if the printer is old.

If you are not using a new cartridge, please try replacing the cartridge. if the issue persists with new cartridge, you required to change the printhead,.

Unfortunately, except for business-grade workgroup printers, few modern printers are repairable, and fewer are worth repairing. Most printers are now manufactured to a "replace not repair" standard. To understand why this is the case, consider the cold, hard, real-world cost of repairing a printer.

I would suggest you get a new printer instead of getting it repaired.

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

S H E F I N

Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HiCustomerThanks for getting back to me swiftly. This is exactly as I suspected, and it is the second time over the past few years that I have had to do this - again with a Canon printer needing a new print head.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. However, this is the honest answer I can give.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thursday 23rd JuneHiCustomer,
Against your advice I bought a new Printhead on eBay on Monday evening and it was delivered today and have just fitted it.The same message comes up - cyan ink tank not recognised. The original fault remains.I shall throw this printer away, with great pleasure, but having spent an extra £50 on it this week, all this has been for nothing.What printers do you recommend in terms of reliability? I shall NEVER purchase anything from Canon again.Thanks for you help. I do not expect you will have any more thoughts on this thoroughly depressing episode.With thanks,Colin
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. tr cleaning the place where the printhead seated and try fitting it again.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks,CustomerI appreciate your commentsI tried this - carefully cleaning with a cotton bud all of the 62 pins that the gold terminals on the Printhead connect to, and there was no improvement.I suspect the fault is in the software, not the hardware.I am sure there is no no quick or low-cost remedy for that.I now have a printer in otherwise excellent condition, hardly used, that is useless.Presumably there is no way I can over-ride the Print function and just use the scanner?regards,Colin
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

I would suggest you get the printer for repair, because the issue seems with the hardware, and not software. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

S H E F I N