Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

My ix6550 has stopped printing, the ink carriage moves back

My ix6550 has stopped printing, the ink carriage moves back & fro without any trouble. When I press print the paper goes through but does not print.
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: It was printing OK previously, but 5 minutes later it didn't print
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not printing, I tried a colour check and alignment and the printer worked OK.Colin
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You mean it will print the color blocks, but you see no black on the test page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No all the colours and black printed OK on colour check and alignment, but will not print from desktop.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay that is a driver issue then, delete the printer from the printers/devices on the computer, reboot both computer and printer, then reinstall the latest driver and software package: http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/printers/inkjet/pixma_ix_series/pixma_ix6550.aspx?type=drivers&language=&os=WINDOWS%207%20(64-bit)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have deleted, reinstalled and rebooted, printer still will not print.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

What OS are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is an OS
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Operating system, such as windows 8, windows 10, osx el capitan, etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 10
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay go to the link I sent above again, but install the 2nd file: iX6500 series Printer Driver Ver. 2.56c (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64)

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I have purchased a new updated printer.
RegardsColin
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That would have been my recommendation as well, if the new drivers did not help.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan