Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

When requesting to print a one off document the printer

When requesting to print a one off document the printer prints it but at the same time selects multiple sheets to print causing a jam. After clearing the jam the printer continues to try to print. I have cleaned all the rollers, set the printer to default settings, deleted the basic programme and reloaded from the HP website, checked and reset the cartridge movement, tried different inkjet paper, with the same result.
The printer is HP Photosmart 6510 b211a and just over 5yrs old
My last move is to delete all hp details and reload from the original disc??
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

I think that the problem is that your rollers are worn to the point that the radii of the rubber is out of spec. At 5 years old, your printer has exceeded its serviceable lifecycle. However, there is a workaround for this condition. If you usually print one sheet at a time, you can simply load one sheet at a time. I had a printer which had a similar problem, and I extended its useful life by several years by this simple accommodation. There was an inconvenience at tax time when I needed to print documents containing a large number of pages, but it was worth it to avoid buying a new printer.

I hope that you can accept this negative news and recognize that my advice still has positive value. You are getting an expert opinion to corroborate your own opinion, which makes it easier to reach a difficult decision. And I think you ought to give serious consideration to the workaround that I have provided, which you may not have thought of yourself.

Please let me know if you have any problems with or questions about this advice. If I have solved your problem, I would appreciate a GOOD or an EXCELLENT rating. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Joelk for your answer. I have tried to print a test page and it does work with a single sheet as I have tried this, but this does not solve the problem of multiple sheets attempting to feed and the pc continuing to try to print when only one sheet was requested. Is this a software problem ??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Joelk, futher to my previous answer I must apologise for my error by saying the pc when it should have been the printer

Hello again, and thank you for your question. It is definitely not a software problem. If it were a software problem calling for multiple sheets to print, the printer would feed the sheets without jamming. You just have to decide whether you can live with the problem and work around it or not. If not, then it is time to purchase a new printer.

Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Joelk Thank you for your replies and advice. I will take time to consider the options. As an aside the total number of sheets printed from new is 3749 which equates to approx. 750 per year which does not seem excessive to cause that much wear of the rollers. Thanks once again for your efforts.