Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Canon Laser Colour Printer LBP7100C showing error

I have a Canon Laser Colour Printer LBP7100C showing error when I try to print. Tried updating driver for 64 bit Windows 10, No change
Error code: CNMFNP-6C71D96EA88F
Any ideas please. Printer approx 1 year old. No Canon dealer for 50 miles.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suggest that you make sure, using your Canon printer software, that the printer's status as regards toner (all/any color of it) and so forth, is OK.

Can you run a photocopy on the printer at this time?

Is the printer on a wireless connection? If so, unplug the WiFi router for 5 minutes. Then plug it in again, wait 2 minutes (restarting your computer meanwhile) and see if it now prints.

Is any error showing on the printer itself, as opposed to on the computer screen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. Not sure how to check state of toner cartridges, nothing showing as a fault or lack of toner.
2. Whoops for all I have worked in IT for a long time prior to retirement 5 years ago, not sure how to use printer as a photocopier without scanning facility, please enlighten.
3. Yes, it is a wireless connection, this is sound.
4. Error is showing when I bring up the printer status box on ny laptop. Otherwise no error obvious on control button panel, lights showing as I advised under extra info.

My mistake, Richard - the LBP series is the type without a scanning platform atop the printer.

No photocopy can be made then.

Has anything about your local network, or your WiFi router in particular, been changed recently?

Go to your WiFi router, check its lights, and their status. If there's a WiFi light, is it lit?

Does your computer get internet through WiFi, or by a wired connection?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Windows 10 has updated, this wiped out the wireless connection, reconnection was difficult entailed going through device manager and advanced settings to gain internet access. Downloaded and installed new drivers for printer since reconnection.
No problem now with wireless connection. Problem seems to be with printer. Toner is dry powder so shouldn't be a problem ?????? Or should it. Could it be as simple as nearly empty cartridges. I have removed and replaced them giving them a huge shake up. Must admit to not doing any printing for a couple or three months prior to problem.

Laser-type printers, like yours, usually don't mind being turned Off for a while.

But, if anything about your network has changed in the last couple of months, then the printer may be not-printing simply because network addresses have changed.

So, have you reinstalled the drivers for the printer since three months ago? you might have to do so, unfortunately, if you haven't done so already.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
after Windows updated, once I could get internet connectivity, I reinstalled the printer drivers. As I said earlier I have removed, shaken and reinstalled the toner cartridges, checked the paper tray and all doors. Everything seems to be as it should be apart from the error message. I have switched everything off and restarted a couple or three times to no avail.
How do I check the toner cartridges for toner?

Go, on your computer, to the Canon software you installed with your printer's drivers. There should be a toner-level-checking function there.

Or, go to

Control Panel

Hardware

View Devices and Printers

and find your printer's icon there. Right-click on that icon,

and select Properties.

See if there is a Maintenance tab on the Properties. If so, that tab should have a Toner Level or Check Toner Level function in it.

Also the printer itself *might* have such a function on it, itself, though I haven't checked on that possibility yet.