Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Canon MG6250 Thick black line appears on copy or scanning

Customer Question

Canon MG6250 Thick black line appears on copy or scanning but not when printing from pc
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide

the right answer to your question.

When a black line appears on scans and copies, there are two main possible causes.

One is typical of black lines appearing only on scans and copies made through a document feeder, but not appearing when a single original is scanned or copied from a glass sheet.

The other type of black line appears on all photocopies and scans, even when not made from a document feeder.

If it is the type that does not show up in photocopies made from the glass sheet, then try this:

Open the top of the printer, so that the glass sheet is showing. At the left, you should see a narrower strip of glass.

Take a fresh paper towel, and moisten it with warm water a little. Rub the narrower strip of glass to the left, firmly, many times over, with the moistened paper towel.

Some black fleck or flakes should come off onto the paper towel.

Then wipe clean and dry with a dry paper towel, before the glass strip on the left dries.

Then try photocopying again.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This has made no difference, the line is about 30mm wide along the length of the paper, your advice would be appreciated thank you.

OK.

Does the black line appear on photocopies made when placed on the glass sheet face down to be photocopied?

Also, is the line fuzzy-edged rather than sharp-edged?

A part in the scanner may be in need of repair. The answer depends upon the above two queries. Please let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The line (a band about 30mm wide) appears on photocopied and scanned items placed on the glass and is sharp edged. It first started as a fuzzy band on photocopies only. Now is a black band with sharp edges the length of the A4 paper on photocopies and scanned items.

I'm sorry to say, that means the scanning portion of the printer has a defect.

It may be a defect in either the light bar or 'bulb', that it has a portion that is not lighting up. But that usually produces a fuzzy-edged black line. Since the line is sharp-edged, it is more likely to be a fault in the light-sensing apparatus of the printer. Or doubtfully and much more rarely, in the scanner bar's temporary memory or data transmission circuits.

I'm sorry to say that if it appears when things are laid flat on the glass sheet, then there is no other possibility. The Canon printer would have to be service-repaired to fix this defect.

If the printer is within warranty, of course, then that repair will be done for free by Canon UK's several repair depots.

If the printer is not within warranty, then it would be a choice between the cost of repairing it, to you, and the cost of replacing it. If I can help you with any of these alternatives, let me know, please.