Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I have LEXMARK PREVAIL PRO 705 DESKTOP PRINTER ALL IN ONE.

Hi, i have LEXMARK PREVAIL PRO 705 DESKTOP PRINTER ALL IN ONE.
I AM HAVING SOME PROBLEM RE THE PRINTHEAD. THE MESSAGE I AM GETTING IS "THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE PRINTHEAD. PLS CONSULT USER'S GUIDE" BUT THE GUIDE DOES NOT SHOW ANYTHING RE THE PRINTHEAD PROBLEM.
CAN YOU HELP
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Dilip.

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead again, which costs about $90. These printers were all discontinued 5+ years ago, so the heads are all old parts with the same defects and have the same high failure rates. If other heads didn't work either, then it would confirm the carriage pcb/logic board is failed.

A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan