Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I have a MacBook Air OSX Yosomite version 10.10.5 and I wish

Customer Question

Hello - I have a MacBook Air OSX Yosomite version 10.10.5 and I wish to connect it to a DELL 1320C colour laser printer and I am having trouble downloading the printer drivers, can you assist please?Many thanksPete
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Pete. I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - can you bear with me 1 minute - can you do this remotely please?

You can download and install the drivers for your operating system from the Dell website by selecting the following link:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R222498

However, it is important to setup your mac and your printer properly beforehand.

Yes, I can do it for you remotely. Secure Remote Assistance is a Premium Service, and there will be n extra charge. Is your printer connected to your router with an Ethernet cable?

Yes, I can do it for you remotely. Secure Remote Assistance is a Premium Service, and there will be an extra charge. Is your printer connected to your router with an Ethernet cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go into the house and connect the cable now - is that what I need to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im currently on a different internet line so will go into the house and plug into the printer?

Yes, but you will also need to configure the network parameters on the printer, using the control panel. Can you take your MacBook with you, so that I can give you instructions on how to do it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the house but now struggling with internet connection - would it be best to take both the printer and laptop into the office to do this sorry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Mac is now plugged into the printer with internet connection

The printer does not connect to the laptop. It connects to the router. Where is the router or modem located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its currently located behind the house pc computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the router the internet connection? I can send a pic if that would help?

Some internet service providers have a modem connected to a router, and some have the router integrated into the modem. The connection point is usually in a row of four Ethernet jacks. You can send a pic, if you think that will help you identify it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there is the 4 jacks with a blue cable connected into one of them and next to it there is a single socket with the router (ADSL filter) plugged into it - which is the right one please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I send the pic to you - do you have s contact address please

You do not need to send a pic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want me to plug the printer cable into one of the 4 jacks or the internet filter next to it?

Allow me to explain:

The box with the four jacks is the modem. it is connected to the ADSL, which is the Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line. It has a router integrated into the same box. The four Ethernet jacks are the router ports. One of them goes to your house pc. If the printer is located close to the router, you can plug the cable connecting the Ethernet port of the printer into any one of the other three ports on the router.

You cannot plug the Ethernet cable into the filter. It is an RJ45 plug and the filter is an RJ11 jack.

Just so you know, the extra port on the ADSL filter is for a telephone or answering machine or a fax line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable I have does not have a connection end that fits any of these sockets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Theres 2 cables that go into the printer, one power cable and then another that connects to the back of the pc?

You must be trying to use a telephone cable. That will not work. You need a cable like the blue cable that is connecting your hose pc to the router.

Oh, you must be using a usb cable. I was not sure that you printer had a usb jack on it. The usb cable does connect directly to the pc.

I see it now in the manual. I apologize for the inconvenience. I did not know about the house pc when we started working on this.

So then, we are going to need to install the printer drivers on the house pc, and not on your MacBook.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's the next step please?

Is that what you want to do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I wish to print from the MacBook the house pc already uses the Dell as a default printer

You will be able to print from the wireless connection on your MacBook to the Dell printer that is connected to the house computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok as long as I can print from my Mac thats great - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just so that you know I can currently print from the house pc using the Dell printer

You are right. We will install the print drivers on the Mac. But first, you have to make the Dell printer shareable on the house pc. What is the operating system on the house pc? Can you please login to the house pc, and I will tell you how to make the printer shareable. If the files on the house pc are shareable now, the printer may be shareable too.

That is good that you can print from the house pc. It means that the printer is set up correctly, except that it needs to be shareable.

It needs to be shareable, so that you can see it from your MacBook.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how do I make it shareable - Im login to the PC?

It needs to be shareable, so that you can see it from your MacBook over the wireless network. You are communicating with me now using a wifi connection with your MacBook, is that correct?

What is the operating system on the house pic? What version of Windows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I find out these things please?

Does it have a Windows icon in the lower left-hand corner of the monitor screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, select that with your mouse and describe what comes up please.

Does it have tiles or menus?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lots of different settings, including computer, network, control panel

Very good. elect Control Panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
selected

Sorry for the typo. Now that you have selected Control Panel, do you see categories or icons?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is - hardware and sound, network and internet, programs, user accounts and family safety, system and maintinance

Please select Network & Internet.

Then select Homegroup, and describe what it says on the next screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there isn't a home group, i have network and sharing centre, internet options, windows firewall, people near me, sync centre, windows mobile device center

Please do something else for me, so that I can see what version of Windows you have.

You can leave that window open. BTW, that Windows icon in the lower left corner is called the Start Menu. Select that again and highlight Computer, but do not select it. Then use your menu button on the mouse to open the Computer menu and select Properties.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ah okay, so the windows is a 'windows vista Home premium'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ah okay, so the windows is a 'windows vista Home premium' 2007

Okay, good Open the Network & Sharing Center in the Control Panel.

Okay, good. Open the Network & Sharing Center in the Control Panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep done that

Do you see Sharing &n Discovery about half way down?

Do you see Sharing & Discovery about half way down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do

Are File Sharing and Printer Sharing turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
file sharing is but printer sharing isn't, i will turn on printer sharing?

If not, turn Printer Sharing on now, and you can turn File Sharing if you want to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, i have turned on printer sharing

Roger that. Please describe the diagram in the top half of the window. Does it show a connection to the Internet, or is there a red X through it? What is the name of this computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows a connection to the internet with the network and the computer. The name is 'JULIE-PC'.

Okay, good job! That is all we need to do on the house pc. You can close all the windows. We will work with the MacBook from now on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay good!

You have requested Secure Remote Assistance. Please use this link and accept the agreement. Then download, run, and install the remote software from Elsinore to start the session: You may have to go to your Download folder and select the Elsinore file if it does not open automatically.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=5a91479d-cb47-4548-a8f2-0de1c91896eb&Type=Java

Are you having problems with this? Please let me know. I can help. I know this is a big step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, just having to download java first before i can open the download.

Okay.

We are not connected yet. You have to Run the file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know sorry, it says i have downloaded your file but i'm unable to open it until the new java is downloaded, which is taking ages. sorry

That's okay. As long as we are making progress.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you for your patience!

Thank you for your patience! It took me a long time to get started.

Are you sure that the Java is not hung up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's okay, nope it still says its downloading, it says 30 minutes remaining but it is going down preety quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the download called? is is the dell installer?

No. It is called Elsinore.

I am not sure about that. It might be called Join Remote Session. You can sort your Download folder by date and it will be at the top of the list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay yes, just double checking. That is the one I need the new Java update for, it's saying about 20 mins now.

Just select the Date column heading. What is it called, just so I know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you mean by the date column? It's called Java for Mac OS X

No, I meant the file for which I sent you the link to establish a remote control session. It will be in your Download folder which you can sort by Date, so that it is at the top of the list. I don't know if you have seen the Agreement page yet or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pressed agree and it started to download. i went onto my downloads to open it and it said i couldn't open the file without downloading the new java update.

Okay. Thank you for that. What is the name of the file? Does it contain Elsinore in the name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's the correct download, it says only 12 minutes left now sorry for the long wait.

I am going to have to stop. This is taking too long. Your time estimate of 20 minutes ha taken forty minutes. I am going to go to bed. it may never finish, and it may never work even if it does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has got 3 minutes left. How do we contact you tomorrow to finish the job?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the java update has completed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The application is downloading

I will stay with it, if it is that close. It may require you to restart your computer. If we get disconnected, you can always return to this session by selecting the link in your latest notification email.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says that we are connected now!

Viola!

The remote control session is unresponsive. It is useless to continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can go to another internet link?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To a much faster internet

What do you mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have another Internet link in office I'm in the house at the moment

The office link will not be on the same wireless network with the Dell printer. It is okay. I can just direct you to execute the installation procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a faster internet connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry about this

Please go to your Apple icon and select System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done

Are there any print server icons in the window?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are brother DCP, color laser, fell printer 1320c (in use default) and hp laser jet

Do you have a Brother printer and/or an HP printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both there

Do you have those physical printers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we have a Dell only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Dell is there as I tried to download the drivers but failed

Okay. We are going to reset your printing system, and that will delete all the icons. Do you see the Command key on your keyboard? Do you see the -Remove link in the window?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shall i delete all the printer icons

Please hold the Command key down and select the -Remove link, and confirm that you want to Reset Printing System. That will automatically remove all the icons.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i press the - button, that just removes each printer on the side. Shall i continue to do this?

If it does not work, you can put your cursor anywhere in the white space in the Printers & Scanners window and use the menu button on your mouse to Reset Printing System.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay i've done that.

Sorry. It is the Control key. Hold down the Control key and select anywhere in the window.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine, i have reset the printing system.

Okay, good. Now use your Finder to go to Applications and find the Dell folder and drag it into the Trash. This completely uninstalls the software. The reason that we need to do this is because otherwise your mac will just the old corrupted software and reinstall it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK done that

What we need to do now is to restart your computer. When we get disconnected, you can return to this session by selecting the link in your latest notification email. It may take a few minutes. I will wait for you to return to this session.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for your patience

Roger that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have restarted the computer

Great! Now you can download and install the print drivers from the Dell Support website by selecting this link:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am I reconnected with you?

Yes. There is a long delay between the US and the UK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK sorry

How is the download going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the download is finished

Okay. Now you must Run it. You may have to look in the Downloads folder to find it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What download please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see it in downloads can you remind me of the name please?

Just open the Download folder and select the Date column heading to sort the list by date. It will be at the top of the list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says Java is that the right one please?

No. Dell_1320c_Installer.dmg (541.22 KB)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK installed

Okay. Now use the Apple icon to go to System Preferences and select Printers & Scanners. Then either select the Dell print server icon or highlight it and use the menu button on the mouse to select Printer Preferences. You should see a button labeled Open Print Queue. Find the button labeled Print Test Page. Then go to the printer and see if it printed successfully.

Print Test Page will be an item on the Printers menu in the Print Queue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that and no printer is showing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the Dell 320 installer on the desktop but not in the printer file!

You said OK installed". Did you get a message that said "Installation Successful"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you want me to do again?

Did you use the Dell 320 Installer icon on the desktop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says no printers are available
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you mean 1320?

When you installed it before, did you use the installer icon on the desktop? Yes, I meant 1320. You said 320 too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did

Maybe the printer or the computer went into sleep mode. Go wake them up so that the are active and try the installer again. I forgot to tell you that the house pc acts as a print server, and it must be on for you to be able to print.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two instalments on the desktop both showing Dell 13.20c installer.mpg - do I keep them both?

You can delete one of them. Just make sure that the one you keep works. Better wait until you can find the printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok trashed one of them will check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still not showing under printer preferences it seems to be stuck on last printer used

You should have waited until you got one of them working. I do not know what your last message means. Can you please explain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
within the box printer preferences no printers are shown - in the box at the bottom "default printer" last printer used
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats what it says in the box "last printer used" and you can't change it

Printer Preferences is part of a print server icon. It does not contain any print server icons.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to take a look from your end please?

No I can't see your computer. I don't have a Mac. I have it memorized. You are confused. Just close the Printer Preferences and go back to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and you will see the Print Server icon for your Dell C1320 printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you look in system preferences you get a open box and it says "No printers are available" at the bottom it has another box called default printer and it says "last Printer used" - you can't delete or alter this! Below this it says Default paper - A4not confused thats what it says

I apologize for my impatience. My directions were unclear before. I just looked it up. You do not need to go to Printer Preferences. You just select the Printer and go to Open Print Queue. The use the Printer menu to Print Test Page. Now those directions should be very clear, because I am not going from memory. I looked the procedure for printing a test page up on the internet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no printer showing its only on the desktop!

I don't know how you could have gotten to Printer Preferences without a Printer. But I will take your word for it. I never meant to go to Printer Preferences anyway. That is part of the procedure for printing a test page on a pc, and not on a mac. It does not matter. Did you go wake up the printer and the computer in the house? You need to do that and then try using the desktop installer again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the house right next to the pc and printer have been all day and woke them both up they both work and print

Okay then. The installer should find the printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How it is sitting on my desktop so what do I do now?

Select the installer and Run it, like you did before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to download the installer I will start again

You said it was on your desktop. You had two of them. I don't know what happened. Something doesn't make sense about that. Anyway, it does not matter. It is probably better to start over anyway. If you do have an installer icon on your desktop, please delete it now.

You can start again by selecting this link:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats now done sitting on my desktop again

Now go to Apple > System preferences > Printers & Scanners. You should see an icon in the printer window for your Dell C1320 printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are going round in circles - this is what we did before and sadly nothing is showing in there!

Okay. WE need to stop now. I do not know what went wrong.

If you had a printer icon, you would do the following:

Select the printer in the Printers list and click Open Print Queue
In the menu bar click the Printers menu. Here you will see Print Test Page.

Select that and go to the printer to see if it printed successfully.

Another time we can try a different remote connection method. Let me think about it and get some rest.

We can try again in a day or two.

You know, I think I just realized what might be the problem. I have done this many times with pc's, using a direct connect pc-printer as a print server, but I have never done it with macs, and certainly not with a pc and a mac. There really is no reason to assume that it would work, since their operating systems are not designed for interoperability. That must be it!

There is another way to give you the functionality that you want, but you are going to have to purchase another Ethernet cable like the blue cable that connects your home pc to your router. Go to a computer store, or you may be able to find one at a convenience store. Then come back online and we will get it working using TCP/IP, which is an interoperable universal network protocol that is independent of the computer operating systems.

Please acknowledge that you got the last message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks how sure are you that this will work as I can't spend another full day on this

I am 100% sure that it will work. However, it will require reconfiguring both computers and the printer. With the long delays between the US and the UK, it will not be quick. If you can get an Ethernet cable today or tomorrow, we can work on it over the weekend, when, hopefully, we will have more time. I have a lot of time invested in this too, and I have a stake in a successful outcome for bot of us.

... for both of us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't afford the time so unless you can do it remotely as I paid for I'm spending no more time on it - if I had known you didn't have a Mac I wouldn't have continued - so there's a lesson

P.S. I have a network with a network printer being shared by both a mac and a pc, so I know that it will work.