Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I have a Canon Pixma MP210 printer. For the first time ever

I have a Canon Pixma MP210 printer. For the first time ever it will not print and an error number of '8' appears on the printer at the same time as an error message appears on my laptop to say that the 'ink absorber' is nearly full. I can find no reference to an ink absorber in the instruction manual let alone empty it! Can you help? I have to admit the printer is nearly eight years old so possibly the problem is terminal!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

We will try to reset the ink counter to clear the error

Can you do the following please

1. Start with printer off
  2. Press and hold resume Button (triangle in the circle) and click “Power” button. green led should be on
  3. hold the Power button, release Resume Button.
  4. Without releasing the Power Button, double click “Resume” button and then release Both Buttons.
  5. Click “Resume” for four times then click “Power” button, to confirm the selected action (reset counter absorber).
  6. Turn off the printer and turn on again

Tell me if it then prints please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry no! Should I be leaving time between each action as the printer is 'clunking away' all the time?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Not really, unplug it, wait 5 minutes, plug it in and then try again please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry still no luck! Is the 'Resume' button the same as 'Stop/reset' button ie red triangle upside down within red circle ?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

yes it is, can you then attempt it this way please

1) With the printer powered off but connected to a power source, press the Power button while pressing and holding
the Stop/ Reset button.
2) When the Power LED is lit, press the Stop/Reset button two times while pressing and holding the Power button.
3) When releasing the Power button and the Stop / Reset button (regardless of order), the printer will move into a
service mode. (Waiting for menu selection)
4) When the LED lights in green, press the Stop/Reset button 2 times

Then tell me if it clears please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am obviously doing something wrong - when I release the power button in stage three the printer is switched off and does nothing!
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

No it is not you, it confirms the issue, it will be the mainboard on the printer.

With the printer being 8 years old, a repair is not feasible, it would cost more then the value of the printer, you will have to purchase a replacement printer sorry.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your advice - not your fault either - will I be charged therefore?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

You have already paid the deposit which was for the service I provided to go through all possible causes and rule them out to confirm the problem.

This is what we did and what you paid for. If we were only paid for fixing an issue, no one would have taken your question due to the possibility of it not being resolvable.

You now have the issue confirmed and know what you need to do. But of course if you do not wish to pay for the service received that's your choice.

If you need anything else, please let me know

Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering