Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Epson Stylus SX215 display shows "no memory card", but I

Epson Stylus SX215 display shows "no memory card", but I don't think it needs one. All the controls are frozen. I want to clean the head and put in new cartridges but the maintenance link to clean the head won't respond, neither the change ink link. What has happened?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

This issue can come up if the printer thought you were trying to print photos from a camera or memory card.

Unplug power to the printer for a minute, replug, and when it comes back up, you should be able to access the menu for the cartridges and cleaning.

Thanks,

Nathan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That hasn't helped, except that the memory card message has gone. When I click on the cleaning link, it says cleaning cannot be completed, then, do you want to replace a cartridge now? I then click on yes, new window appears with a faint image of an ink cartridge and option "next". When I click on this the screen returns to the general maintenance window. So it just goes round in circles.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Unplug it again, and go directly into the ink replacement option after turning back on,

it won't let you clean if any cartridges are low/empty.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did that, but same still happening.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay we'll need to try a different reset process next:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh dear, that hasn't made any difference. Is there any other way in to replace the cartridges?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

If you unplug the power and raise the lid, you should be able to move the carriage over manually to access them.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was unable to move the cartridge holder manually. My next idea was to find something very colourful and then photocopy it as many times as it took to use up the remaining small amount of ink. When the message appeared that cartridges needed replacing, I was able to follow the usual procedure and afterwards was able to clean the head. So, finally, all is working normally.Thank you so much for your help - you did try everything you could.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Great! I'm glad to hear it is working again for you.

Nathan